i.MX8MM Dual Camera Setup with MIPI CSI-2?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8MM Dual Camera Setup with MIPI CSI-2?

Jump to solution
IncrediGuy
Contributor I

Greetings all, 

I have scoured the forum for a clear answer and it looks like there are multiple answers to the same question for different SoC's so I am hoping this post can clear it up once and for all for the 8M series. 

With regards to the i.MX8M Mini Dual and Quad, is it possible to use the 4-lane MIPI CSI-2 to run two dual-lane CMOS sensors simultaneously without an FPGA between the cameras and SoC? 

The question really boils down to whether or not we can pipe the separate dual-lane image sensors to the chip and set up virtual channels via the driver to manage the images separately. Looking through the DRM, it's clear there are 4-lanes available, but it's not clear as to whether or not chipset has the appropriate IPU structure to handle multiple video streams nor is it clear how to handle the clocking of the two sensors. 

Has anyone successfully done this?

Note: Our goal would be to NOT use usb and/or PCIe for the secondary camera as they will be occupied with other peripherals and we would like to use the same connectors/hardware.

I appreciate the support!  

(Note: OPs question was "solved", but the follow-on was not https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/Multiple-Cameras-on-iMX8M-Mini/m-p/1022287 )

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi IncrediGuy

>is it possible to use the 4-lane MIPI CSI-2 to run two dual-lane CMOS sensors
>simultaneously without an FPGA between the cameras and SoC?

sorry not possible.

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi IncrediGuy

>is it possible to use the 4-lane MIPI CSI-2 to run two dual-lane CMOS sensors
>simultaneously without an FPGA between the cameras and SoC?

sorry not possible.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
IncrediGuy
Contributor I

@igorpadykov - I appreciate the response!

What is the limiting factor on the 8M Mini? Is there no way to manage the CSI lanes as virtual channels? 

Our specific task does not require the signals to be simultaneous and could be managed L,R,L,R as individual frames and do not need to be stitched together. 

Could you point me in the right direction here - does NXP have a suitable FPGA - or is there a more appropriate SoC that is around the same cost?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi IncrediGuy

virtual channels are not supported.

Sorry FPGA is not available.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos