Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8 boot fallback

Jump to solution
esben-e
Contributor II

Hello
We are currently working on a custom  i.MX8 board which at the moment boots from manufacturing mode: It boots from the SD card if present and does a fallback to serial download if SD card is empty or not present. All this works fine. But we want to change default boot device to an  eMMC present on the board. I understand that this can be done by blowing fuses and have a pretty good idea on how to do that. But before we start blowing fuses it is important that we can force the board back to serial download mode (or from the SD card) if e.g. an error occurs.

Seems that this should be possible using the BOOT_MODE0 and BOOT_MODE1 pins. But configuring these two pins forcing the board into  Serial Download does not seem to work. The board simply does not boot using that configuration and no NXP usb device is shown on host computer. This configuration works fine using the i.MX8 EVK so really strange why we can't do this on our custom board..

A better option would be to  configure BOOT_MODE0 and BOOT_MODE1 to "Internal Boot" and use GPIOs to override fuse settings. But unfortunately the required GPIOs is not accessible and used for other purposes.

Is there a way to find out why we can't force the board into "Serial Downloader" mode? Or perhaps something else we can try to make this work?

It is important that we can get back to manufacturing mode if we by accident brick the board during development.

Any suggestions is much appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Esben

1 Solution
esben-e
Contributor II

Hi

Thought I'd update this issue with our findings and the solution if it can help others with a similar issue.

We found out that the iMX8 EVKs we have had a pre-revision A (0 series ? ) that worked fine. On our custom boards we had at revision A which turned out not to be able to switch boot modes using the BOOT_MODE0 and BOOT_MODE1 pins. As one of MANY attempts to solve the issue we made a new revision with a revision B of the iMX8 Quad/Dual MCU. After updating everything works as expected.

Esben Elfving - Prevas A/S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
esben-e
Contributor II

Hi

Thought I'd update this issue with our findings and the solution if it can help others with a similar issue.

We found out that the iMX8 EVKs we have had a pre-revision A (0 series ? ) that worked fine. On our custom boards we had at revision A which turned out not to be able to switch boot modes using the BOOT_MODE0 and BOOT_MODE1 pins. As one of MANY attempts to solve the issue we made a new revision with a revision B of the iMX8 Quad/Dual MCU. After updating everything works as expected.

Esben Elfving - Prevas A/S

esben-e
Contributor II

Hi Yuri
The part# is: MIMX8MD6CVAHZAA

Thanks,

Esben

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

esben-e 

I've sent You my comments directly.

~Yuri.

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

esben-e 

Hello,

Please let me know exact part number of the i.MX8, used in Your case.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos