i.MX7ULP is it possible to access the PMU (Performance Monitoring Unit) interrupts?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX7ULP is it possible to access the PMU (Performance Monitoring Unit) interrupts?

sernelius
Contributor II

Hi,

I'm trying to get perf recording working on the i.MX7ULP platform running linux 4.14.98-imx_4.14.98_2.0.0_ga but I'm not able to figure out how/or if it's possible to access the interrupts from the PMU by reading the reference manual.

arch/arm/boot/dts/imx7ulp.dtsi contains:

pmu: pmu@a7 {
   compatible = "arm,cortex-a7-pmu";
};

but no interrupts specified. From the ref manual it looks like it could be possible to configure the A7 CTI interrupt to actually be the PMU Interrupt but I can't figure out how.

How should this be done, is it possible?

Thanks,

David

Labels (1)
7 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello David,

>>i.MX7ULP is it possible to access the PMU interrupts?

yes, it is possible.

>>How should this be done?

On i.MX7ULP EVK schematic, PMIC_INT is connected ot PTB11(Port B No.11 pin), see below, please!

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

The pin has been defined GPIO in imx7ulp-pinfunc.h

#define IMX7ULP_PAD_PTB11__PTB11                                     0x00AC 0x0000 0x1 0x0

If you want A7 to response it's interrupt in linux BSP, you should use the "Table 3-2. A7 interrupt assignments"

pastedImage_3.png

68 is IRQ number.

For detailed information on how to : Referring to interrupt of MIPI_DSI to HDMI .

pinctrl_dsi_hdmi: dsi_hdmi_grp {
            fsl,pins = <
                IMX7ULP_PAD_PTC18__PTC18    0x10003    /* DSI_HDMI_INT */
            >;
        };
    };

pastedImage_7.png

--------------Reminder-----------

[Comment] Pay attention to configurations on PORT A/B/C/D..., voltage range is a little difference.

See reference manual, please!

31.4 GPIO pads operating range configuration

GPIO pads can operate in 3 ranges of I/O supply:
• 1.8 V range (1.71 V ~ 1.89 V)
• 3.3 V range (3.00 V ~ 3.60 V)
• Continuous range (1.71 V ~ 3.60 V)

• Ports A, C, E, F GPIO pads must be configured to operate in one of the 3 possible
operating ranges.
• Port B GPIO pads must be configured to operate in either "Continuous range" or in
"1.8 V range".
• Port D GPIO pads are not configurable and can operate in "1.8 V range" or "3.3 V
range".
• Each GPIO port can be individually configured in the SIM_DGO_GP11 register
according to the values shown in the following table.
• Operating in the "Continuous range" turns on a voltage detection circuitry resulting
in additional power consumption. If this additional power consumption is not
desired, for example in low power modes, it's recommended to configure either Low
or High range.
......--------------------------

Have a nice day!

BR,

Weidong

0 Kudos

sernelius
Contributor II

Hi Weidong,

Thank you for your reply, but what I meant by PMU is Performance Monitoring Unit. (NOT Power Management Unit!) I've edited the title of the question now.

The performance monitoring unit events are needed to be able to profile an application using the tool perf, but I can't figure out how to configure the system to get these events.

Kind regards,

David

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello David,

Sorry for my misunderstanding your question!

OK, for your question, you can refer to the link from "arm community" :

Using ARM Performance Monitor Unit (PMU) Linux Driver - Embedded blog - System - Arm Community 

Hope it is helpful for you!

Have a nice day!

BR,

Weidong

0 Kudos

sernelius
Contributor II

Hi again Weidong,

I'm familiar with the kernel configuration options needed and the device tree entries, my question is regarding the missing interrupt parameters in the PMU section of the device tree source file provided for the i.MX7ULP.

In the article you linked the device tree entry is:

03 pmu-dt-a.png

But in arch/arm/boot/dts/imx7ulp.dtsi:

pmu-imx7ulp.png

No interrupts are specified, as I said in my original question, I have tried to find information in the reference manual for the i.MX7ULP - the PMU IRQ doesn't seem to be available at the GIC (Generic Interrupt Controller) as it is on other i.MX platforms, but I saw some information that it might be possible to route the PMU interrupt to the CTI interrupt (which is connected to the GIC)?

Would this be possible, and is this the way it should be done to get access to the PMU IRQs or are they exposed in some other way?

Best Regards,

David

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

OK, got it.  I will confirm PMU IRQ with Expert team, wait for me, please!

Have a nice day!
BR,

weidong

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, David

Expert team gave reply, see below, please!

---------------------------------

In the current silicon revision PMU interrupt is not connected in the 7ULP design. So we cannot enable the PMU functions that are driven by hardware events during performance profiling. 

---------------------------------

Have a nice day!

BR,

Weidong

0 Kudos

rbr_alca
Contributor I

Hi,

I realise this is an older thread but I wanted to ask if this is perhaps also true for the i.MX 8M Plus? 

I ask because when attempting to use perf record I get this error:

"imx8_ddr0/axid-read/: PMU Hardware doesn't support sampling/overflow-interrupts. Try 'perf stat'"

0 Kudos