cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX7 Dual Maximum UART Baud Rate

Jump to solution
adrianamickols
Contributor I

What is the maximum baud rate for UARTs on the i.MX7 Dual (for both the A cores and the M core)?  We are looking at running at 5Mbps.

The family guide seems to imply that it is based on the "module_clock."  Is this UART1_CLK_ROOT, etc listed in Table 5-11?  This table seems to imply that the maximum clock root frequency is 80MHz.  If the 16x higher clock frequency from 14.3.4.2.2 is required for higher frequencies, this means the maximum baud rate is 5MBps.  Is this correct?

15.3.4.2.2 Maximum Baud Rate

The max baud rate the UART can support is determined by the max frequency of the module_clock. For example, if the SoC can provide the fastest module_clock 66.5 MHz, the UART can transmit and receive serial data with the maximum baud rate 66.5M/16 = 4.15 Mbit/s. The UART supports serial IR interface low speed. In the low speed IrDA mode, the max baud rate is 115.2 Kbit/s. To support the 115.2 Kbit/s, module_clock frequency must be higher or equal to 1.8432 MHz.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adriana

this understanding is correct, maximum baud rate is 5MBps and uart is the same

as in i.MX6UL, i.MX6SX processors.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adriana

this understanding is correct, maximum baud rate is 5MBps and uart is the same

as in i.MX6UL, i.MX6SX processors.

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos