cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6ULL booting and flashing issue

ranjithkumar_kv
Contributor I

Hi,

We are using i.MX6ULL processor in one of our project and we run into the following problems.

1. We made the boot mode switch for Serial Download mode (BOOT_MODE[1:0] - 01). We are using uuu tool to flash the eMMC and SD card connected to the board. Whatever the parameter we are giving in the uuu tool (sd_all or emmc_all) the image is getting flashed in the eMMC only. This we confirmed using the console logs we got while the board is getting flashed which is showing as "sparse flash target is mmc:1" for both sd_all and emmc_all and by probing the clock of eMMC. In both the cases the uuu tool is showing success and the console log also shows like "Writing  'bootloader' DONE!". How to flash the SD card using uuu tool?

2. We made the boot mode switch for Internal Boot mode (BOOT_MODE[1:0] - 10). In this case when we try to flash eMMC using uuu tool, the image is getting flashed. Is this expected behavior?

3. When we try to boot the board from eMMC / SD card the board is not getting booted up. We made the boot switch BOOT_MODE[1:0] -10, boot_config as 0010 for SD card and 0110 for eMMC. We tried in both uSDHC1 and uSDHC2 but the board is not getting booted up in both the cases.How to make the board to boot from SD card / eMMC?

4. We configured eMMC for 8-bit mode but while flashing when we probed the eMMC we found that the eMMC is working in 4-bit mode. Is this expected behavior?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1)do you mean android or linux?

2)what do you mean, when you set BOOT_MODE[1:0] - 01, you only can download image to SD card by UUU, but when you set BOOT_MODE[1:0] - 10, you can download image to EMMC by UUU successfully?

3)what board do you use? customized board? for imx6ull evk board, SD2 on i.MX 6UltraLite EVK and i.MX
6ULL EVK, and did you get any information from uart port when you boot up the board from SD card?

4)for data width, you can refer to the chapter Table 8-15. USDHC boot eFUSE descriptions of imx6ull reference manual

0 Kudos

ranjithkumar_kv
Contributor I

Hi Joan,

1. We are using Linux image.

We made the boot mode switch for Serial Download mode (BOOT_MODE[1:0] - 01). We are using uuu tool to flash the eMMC and SD card connected to the board. Whatever the parameter we are giving in the uuu tool (sd_all or emmc_all) the image is getting flashed in the eMMC only. This we confirmed using the console logs we got while the board is getting flashed which is showing as "sparse flash target is mmc:1" for both sd_all and emmc_all and by probing the clock of eMMC. In both the cases the uuu tool is showing success and the console log also shows like "Writing  'bootloader' DONE!". How to flash the SD card using uuu tool?

2. When we make the boot mode switches to internal boot mode also it is not going to internal boot mode and is going to serial download mode.

3. We are using customized board. No we are not getting any prints in the UART console when we are trying to boot the board from SD card or eMMC.

4. We had referred the Table 8-15 only and set the config to 8 bit. But when we probed the eMMC lines, there is activity in 4 lines only while flashing. Is it required to have change in config to 4 bit also while booting?

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1)what bsp version do you use? let me check it, when you download image to sd card successfully, then you insert the sd card, could you boot up from the sd card? the sd card doesn't work? another solution is that you can use dd command in the linux to download image to sd card directly, and check if you use sd2 ?

2)refer to the reference manual, if internal boot failed, the boot code jumps to the download mode

"The boot code performs the hardware initialization, loads the program image from the
chosen boot device, performs the image validation using the HAB library , and then jumps to an address derived from the program image. If an error occurs during the internal boot, the boot code jumps to the Serial Downloader"

you also can refer to the BT_FUSE_SEL

pastedImage_1.png

more detailed information, pls refer to the reference manual

4) I don't know if you change the dts file already, maybe you can check it, you also can refer to the topic as below:

https://community.nxp.com/message/984400 

0 Kudos