Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6UL: temperature monitor accuracy

Jump to solution
pierluigi_p
Contributor V

Hi,

we are using a custom kernel based on branch imx_4.14.78_1.0.0_ga and we are reading the core temperature with both a IR thermal camera and the junction temperature from Linux kernel.

While the IR camera (under same load conditions) is showing more or less the same temperature (+/- 1*C), the junction temperature range from +4 to +15 °C compared with the IR camera.

We were actually expecting a difference of about 1.5°C (dissipation about 0.6 mW).

As side effect, the SoCs with higher temperature difference enter in thermal protection even if apparently far from the critical thermal thresholds.

Can this "variance" be anyhow originated by an incorrect formula in the TMU driver? Is there any suggestion to mitigate this behaviour?

Thanks

BR

Pier

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pierluigi_p
Contributor V

Hi  Igor,

thanks for the clarification.

Summarizing, I'm assuming that

- kernel 4.14.x already support the latest formula to estimate the junction temperature

- the calibration data is stored in the fuses during the factory calibration process

- the calibration data cannot be fine tuned

Is this correct?

Thanks

Regards

Pier

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos
pierluigi_p
Contributor V

Hi  Igor,

thanks for the clarification.

Summarizing, I'm assuming that

- kernel 4.14.x already support the latest formula to estimate the junction temperature

- the calibration data is stored in the fuses during the factory calibration process

- the calibration data cannot be fine tuned

Is this correct?

Thanks

Regards

Pier

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Pier

yes this is correct.

Best regards