i.MX6UL-EVK cannot boot from QSPI NOR flash programmed through mfgtool L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga_mfg-tools

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6UL-EVK cannot boot from QSPI NOR flash programmed through mfgtool L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga_mfg-tools

charlesmao
Contributor I

I can program QSPI NOR flash memory on the i.MX6UL-EVK using manufacturing tools L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga_mfg-tools (mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-qspi-nor-n25q256a.vbs was executed). After changing the boot mode and reset the board, u-boot ran OK, but it couldn't load zImage. The u-boot console message is shown below:

U-Boot 2016.03-imx_v2016.03_4.1.15_2.0.0_ga+g0ec2a01 (Sep 16 2016 - 18:36:22 -0500)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX6UL rev1.0 528 MHz (running at 396 MHz)
CPU:   Industrial temperature grade (-40C to 105C) at 41C
Reset cause: POR
Board: MX6UL 14x14 EVK
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1
SF: Detected N25Q256 with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 64 KiB, total 32 MiB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Display: TFT43AB (480x272)
Video: 480x272x24
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   FEC1
Normal Boot
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
MMC: no card present
MMC: no card present
Card did not respond to voltage select!
Booting from net ...
FEC1 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete......... TIMEOUT !
BOOTP broadcast 1
BOOTP broadcast 2
BOOTP broadcast 3
BOOTP broadcast 4
BOOTP broadcast 5
BOOTP broadcast 6
BOOTP broadcast 7
BOOTP broadcast 8
BOOTP broadcast 9
BOOTP broadcast 10
BOOTP broadcast 11
BOOTP broadcast 12
BOOTP broadcast 13
BOOTP broadcast 14
BOOTP broadcast 15
BOOTP broadcast 16
BOOTP broadcast 17

Retry time exceeded; starting again
FEC1 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete......... TIMEOUT !
BOOTP broadcast 1
BOOTP broadcast 2
BOOTP broadcast 3
BOOTP broadcast 4
BOOTP broadcast 5
BOOTP broadcast 6
BOOTP broadcast 7
BOOTP broadcast 8
BOOTP broadcast 9
BOOTP broadcast 10
BOOTP broadcast 11
BOOTP broadcast 12
BOOTP broadcast 13
BOOTP broadcast 14
BOOTP broadcast 15
BOOTP broadcast 16
BOOTP broadcast 17

Retry time exceeded; starting again
Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!
=>

The programming was successful as shown in the following screen capture:

180871_180871.JPGmfgtool_capture.JPG

The console messages while programming is attached in the attachment.

Can you tell me what I've done incorrect?

Thanks,

Charles

Original Attachment has been moved to: mfgtool_programming.txt.zip

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

jan_spurek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Charles,

in default settings MFG tool sends only U-Boot to QSPI device. In the ucl.xml file, you can find that the commands used for sending the kernel, device tree and rootfs are missing. This is because QSPI devices usually have too small capacity for the entire image.

Best Regards,

Jan

0 Kudos

charlesmao
Contributor I

Hi Rita,

I am using the demo image. Obviously u-boot was executed, so the boot mode must be correct. What is the correct u-boot command line for this EVK? I assume the demo image get the settings right.

Thanks,

Charles

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Charles,

You can refer to the section 4.7 Running Linux OS on the target in the user guide document. Any questions you can contine contact me. And I will rework it on my board. You read the following document first.
Have a great day,
Rita

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

To download the images to QuadSPI on i.MX 6UltraLite EVK , using the mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-qspi-nor-n25q256a.vbs is correct. Here you can check if the boot mode Booting from QuadSPI on i.MX 6UltraLite EVK and u-boot command line setting right.
Have a great day,
Rita

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Charles,

About the images download to i.mx6ul-evk board, you build yourself or use the demo images?
Have a great day,
Rita

0 Kudos