i.MX6UL EVK Can't get MFGTool to connect

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6UL EVK Can't get MFGTool to connect

lawrenceosolkow
Contributor I

I recently received an i.MX6UL EVK board, with matching LCD module, from our local FAE.  I've set up the board following the directions in the downloaded documentation: everything is plugged-in, the board is configured to serial download mode, the OTG port is connected to a USB port (which initially resulted in a driver being installed on my Win7 PC), the USB / COM3 port is configured for the appropriate settings, a 2GB microSD card is installed, and a 5V power supply is connected.  When I double-click on the mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd2.vbs file in the mfgtools-with-rootfs folder, either before or after switching the power on the EVK board, an MFGTool2 window opens, but "No Device Connected" is shown.  What am I missing?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Lawrence

if Windows 7 is 64 bit version or there is USB 3.0 on PC, there may

be issues. For USB 3.0 one can try to disable it. Also recommended first

power-up board without cable connected, then attach cable to PC.

On PC device manager one can see if something appears connected to usb port.

Check that correct version of MFG Tools is used:

Programmers (Flash, etc.) (3)

IMX_L3.14.38-6UL_MFG_TOOL (REV L3.14.38_6ul)

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

Also one can program SD card without MFG Tool using procedure in attached

Linux Guide sect.4.3 Preparing an SD/MMC card to boot.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

lawrenceosolkow
Contributor I

Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately, my PC is Windows 7 64-bit, and it has USB 3.0 support, which I haven't been able to disable.  When I plug in the USB cable, Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3) appears in the device manager, so it looks like it's connecting.  The COM3 port is configured to the recommended settings.

I don't have access to a Linux system, so using the procedure in the i.MX Linux User's Guide doesn't help much.  Is it possible to program the image onto a microSD card using Windows?  I have Cygwin installed, if that helps.  Also, will the image fit on a 2GB microSD card?  I have one of those, but will get a 4GB card if that's necessary.

Thanks again

Larry

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Larry

one can install VMWare with linux machine, also one can try

to connect using external usb hub.

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

GordyCarlson
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Igor,

Like Larry, I am unable to connect to the EVK using my Windows 7-64 bit machine. I also tried an external hub. That didn't work either.

It looks like using VMWARE or a Linux machine to create a programmed microSD per the Linux Users Guide (above) is the only method.  Have you had any other people report success with a Windows7-64 bit machine using an external hub or different method?

I'm hesitant to start disabling USB drivers on my machine, as this machine is used for many purposes.

-Gordy

p.s. Larry is my customer, so we are both working towards the same goal.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gordy

could you try latest mfg tools

Programmers (Flash, etc.) (9)

IMX6_L3.14.52_MFG_TOOL (REV L3.14.52_1.1.0)

SABRE Board Reference Design|NXP

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

GordyCarlson
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes,  just downloaded and tried that one too.  That new revision was posted on the iMX6UL tools page on Dec 18th.  Larry initially tried to get his system working the week prior to that with the earlier rev.  But my attempt this week with this latest rev Manfacturing Tool had the same result as Larry.

Manufacturing Tool still doesn't not recognize the EVK board ....error is "No Device Connected"

Plugging in the board does result in the characteristic Windows system sound "dong ding" of a USB device be enumerated, as well as the reverse sound "ding dong" when unplugged.  In the Windows Device Manager it shows the "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to Uart Bridge"  Com port being recognized and enumerated.  But per the Manufacturing Tool Quick Start Guide....there is no "HID Compliant Device" being enumerated under the "Human Interface Devices" section in the Device Manager.  This seems to be the problem.

I'm going to try an find an older Windows XP system around the office and see if that improves the results, before installing VMWARE on my laptop and trying to directly program/configure an SD card within Linux.

If there has been any success using a WIndows 7 / 64 bit machine, let me know. That would at least give me hope that my (and most customer's) laptops could be used with the Manufacturing Tool.

Gordy

0 Kudos

GordyCarlson
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Igor,

I got it working....... REALLY silly error on my part..... as with some other boards I support (Kinetis, etc), I was assuming that the DEBUG USB port was used for downloading images.  But of course the small print I overlooked in the Quick Start guide is to use the OTG port for downloading BSP images.

Manufacturing Tool now downloads the image successfully to the  board.

My next step is to familiarize myself with the booting and debug process for the board.  But the initial issue of connecting by Manufacturing Tool is resolved.  I will sync up with Larry separately.  I may have an opportunity to meet with him again onsite at his facility later this week or next.

Thanks, you can close the ticket.

Gordy

0 Kudos