cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6Q SDB problems

frankmiller
Contributor IV

Greetings,

I'm having a little trouble with the i.MX6Q Sabre SDB board.  I have the board connected as follows:  an HDMI port cable to a large monitor (Dell 30" 2560x1600 native resolution), a USB terminal connection to a USB port on a PC, and a 22-pin SATA data/power connector running to a 2.5" HDD, and a USB keyboard plugged into the USB OTG port (using cable adapters).

I've also created an SD card with the binary uboot, kernel, and Ubuntu root file system which is what I'm trying to boot.

When I boot this system I get the following behavior.  Uboot comes up on the USB terminal connection and begins to boot.  The kernel then begins to boot and also dumps output to the USB terminal connection until the following output:

console [tty0] enabled, bootconsole disabled.

When I switch over to the HDMI screen, I see that the kernel is booting but I'm having trouble with the resolution.  It looks like the output is "too large" for the screen.  The first two or three characters on each line appear to be shifted off the left side of the monitor.  The output seems like its the end of the kernel messages but I'm not sure.  Then there's nothing.  The display does not continue.  There is no login prompt.  I don't have access via the USB terminal connection anymore and the USB keyboard does not appear to do anything.  I've tried playing around with the video= part of the boot arguments in uboot but have not had much luck so far.  I'm really just trying to get a terminal somewhere.  Should I try to ssh in via the Ethernet?

Can someone advise me on this?

Thanks,

FM

12 Replies

hoangduong
Contributor II

For all reason you can see, please make sure that Ubuntu SD Card you made is good. Then make sure that you set all nescessary arguments for i.MX6 SDB. Finnaly use the controller to edit your HDMI Monitor type for displaying on its settings option to display correct resolution output from i.MX6 SDB.

Good luck.

Ps: i tried to make an Ubuntu SD Card for i.MX6 SDB Board with Ubuntu image and i boot it successfully with Ubuntu 11.04 screen when boot up. You need to see again documents to make sure that you are correct on each steps.

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Make sure you´re using the right resolution output.

You can configure it by changing the kernel command line. Please, take a look on release notes

0 Kudos

brinihamdi
Contributor II

ok thanks i already did that

frankmiller
Contributor IV

Screenshot # 2 of this

IMG_0245.JPG

0 Kudos

frankmiller
Contributor IV

IMG_0246.JPG

Screenshot #1 of this

0 Kudos

frankmiller
Contributor IV

Thanks for the reply.

1) I have looked at the release notes.   I've tried a quite a few combinations so far:

video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24

video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,2560x1600M@60,if=RGB24

as examples.  I've tried this with just the one video and with two video entries (the other for mxcfb1).  I consistently have the same output.

Sometimes when I boot, the kernel output ends with this:

i mxc_hdmi: same edid

Note that I think two characters are cut off the front of this line, conssistent with the video problem I'm talking about.

2) There's the problem with video output but I'm also not getting any interactive prompt.  Am I right to assume the Ubuntu distro is supposed to dump you into a GUI environment with a login?  Is there supposed to be a login prompt on the text console?

3) The kernel does not appear to make use of the FTDI serial port.   It would be nice if this port was enabled by the kernel and a login prompt presented.

Thanks,

FM

0 Kudos

brinihamdi
Contributor II

hi

please where you find the file that contain  these :

video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24

video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,2560x1600M@60,if=RGB24

i have installed successfully ubuntu on the sdcard using mfgtool but i can't display ubuntu on my monitor hdmi because i don't have an LVDS

any solution for my problem please ?

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi brinihamdi, I think you could create a new topic with your problem, as it does not look like it´s related with the previous one.

This way would be easier to you get an answer from community, I think....

0 Kudos

brinihamdi
Contributor II

ok thanks i already did that

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Freescale Community <

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Frank Miller wrote:

2) There's the problem with video output but I'm also not getting any interactive prompt.  Am I right to assume the Ubuntu distro is supposed to dump you into a GUI environment with a login?

Yes

Is there supposed to be a login prompt on the text console?

As I remember, you can see a text console only if your kernel command line is configured to be dual display. You will see GUI on first and text console on second one.

3) The kernel does not appear to make use of the FTDI serial port.  It would be nice if this port was enabled by the kernel and a login prompt presented.

Can´t you get any console (using any cable)?

0 Kudos

frankmiller
Contributor IV

I'm not using the flat panel connections at all.  I don't even have a display to hook to them.  I have the system hooked up as I mentioned in the original message.  The output I'm seeing is U-boot displaying on the FTDI connection until the kernel boots, then the text output going to the HDMI port.  Then nothing.  I will say that I have not been using the second video= entry on the U-boot command line args.  Is the kernel wired to assume there is at lease one flat panel connection?  Is the GUI and/or serial connection hardwired into the kernel somehow?  Maybe I need to build another kernel?  Did you have any comment on the video issue?

Thanks,

FM

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Video issue:

Sorry for missing it. I have never saw something like that, and I don´t know how the digital video is messed (I saw something like that when displaying analog video on TV out)

I assumed you have tried any monitor offset configuration.

Are you using a HDMI cable or a DVI one?

For console. I don´t use ubuntu usually, so I don´t know the "commom behavior" very well. But I would expect that first display (GUI) would be displayed on any display.

In order to have your FTDI console to be displayed during kernel boot up I think you must enable it on kernel. I mean, rebuild kernel with TFDI console support.

0 Kudos