cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 watchdog: reboot on system halt

morix
Contributor II

Hello,

I am currently working on a system based on i.MX6 Solo and I am experiencing a "weird" behavior...

Everytime I shutdown my Linux box (kernel 3.10.17) by typing "halt", then at the end (just before "Power down") the kernel dumps something like "imx2-wdt 20bc000.wdog: Device shutdown: Expect reboot!" and after a couple of minutes the board is restarted...

In my own opinion, if I halt the system on my own, then I want to keep it turned off, isn't it? Why the watchdog fires? Is there a way for avoiding that?

Thanks + regards,

/Morix

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Moris

seems poweroff command should be used, as halting involves stopping cpu on the system

(note wdog can not be stopped).

Powering off involves sending an ACPI command to disconnect main power.

http://serverfault.com/questions/191537/shutdown-what-is-difference-between-power-off-and-halt

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

morix
Contributor II

Hi Igor,

I've tried to do a "shutdown -h -P now" (shutdown man page told me that "-P" can only be used in connection with "-h") but that hasn't fixed my problem...

Again, after power down, the watchdog fires and the platform is restarted.

The only thing that has changed is that doing "shutdown -h -P now" the system is not cleanly shutdown: I mean the "/etc/init.d" scripts for terminating running processes are not called, and instead running processes are simply killed sending the TERM signal to them...

Any other ideas?

Thanks + regards,

/Morix

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Morix

seems board restarts due to "AUTO ON" feature shown on p.19  spf-27392,

there is optional circuit for turning it off:

Schematics (1)

"Design files, including hardware schematics, Gerbers, and OrCAD files. (REV C5) "

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=RDIMX6SABREPLAT&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Too...

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

morix
Contributor II

Thanks Igor, I'll give it a try!

/Morix

0 Kudos