cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 freeze on IDMAC transfers

albrechtuhlmann
Contributor I

Hello all,

we have implemented a camera driver for the i.MX6 CSI parallel interface. Pictures are transferred from IPU to System RAM by IDMAC double-buffer scheme. Software gets notified whenever a buffer is full. It then activates the other buffer for the next picture while it harvests the latest picture from the buffer being notified.

Now, we have a situation where the IPU seems to freeze, it doesn't generate any interrupts anymore, or even worse the whole processor gets locked up and freezes until the watchdog resets it.

Our question is: We have the assumption that the double-buffer scheme can come out of sync, and in that case the software would read the same buffer that the IDMAC is writing to at the same time. Can this lead to a system lockup (e.g. issues with AXI bus being accessed from two peripherals at once)?

Thank you and best regards,

Al

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Albrecht

what bsp used in the case as not all linux kernels support well i.MX6 ipu.

Please try some of nxp official releases described on

https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/run-time-software/i.mx-developer-resources/i.mx-6ser...

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

albrechtuhlmann
Contributor I

Hi Igor,

we are using the QNX OS, not Linux. The camera driver was implemented by ourselves using the Freescale i.MX6 Platform SDK, which was created by Freescale when the i.MX6 was launched.

My question was actually related to the Hardware implementation of the i.MX6. E.g. what happens when the IDMAC and the CPU are accessing the same RAM buffers via the AXI bus at the same time? Can this lead to a processor lockup or to a standstill of the IDMAC?

Regards,

Al

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Albrecht

I believe nothing happens when the IDMAC and the CPU are accessing the same RAM buffers via

the AXI bus at the same time, as AXI bus provides necessary arbitration timings. Most probably

processor locksup due to wrong IDMAC settings.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos