cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 and Freescale Xv Support

NathanJozwiak
Contributor III

Hi all,

I have a Nitrogen6x board and have Linux up and running on it with GStreamer1.0. I was trying to get a camera application running from Qt 5.5.0, but ran into an error when running: "Could not initialise Xv output"

I did some investigating and found this exists because the QtMultimedia plugin exclusively uses the xvimagesink GST plugin. I'm easily able to reproduce this outside of Qt:

# gst-launch-1.0 -e autovideosrc ! xvimagesink

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...

ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.

ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstXvImageSink:xvimagesink0: Could not initialise Xv output

Additional debug info:

/opt/fsl-community-bsp-fido/imx6-build/tmp/work/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-mx6qdl-poky-linux-gnueabi/gstreamer1.0-plugins-base/1.4.5-r0/

gst-plugins-base-1.4.5/sys/xvimage/xvimagesink.c(1768): gst_xvimagesink_ope:

No Xv Port available

I installed xvinfo on the board and it's obvious why the sink doesn't work... there are no adapters present:

# xvinfo

X-Video Extension version 2.2

screen #0

no adaptors present

So I went off looking for an answer and stumbled on the Wandboard website where I found this interesting bit of information Wandboard - Freescale i.MX6 ARM Cortex-A9 Community Development Board - January 23 2014 - Video play...

The recommended solution from Freescale is to use mfw_isink when playing back several videos -- but that does not integrate well with X11 (in fact, it changes the framebuffer to YUV mode).

Further the X11 integration is not made easier from xvimagesink being a fake in the Freescale Xorg driver (it announces XV support, but when asked to use it there are no adapters!)

Is this true? Does the Freescale driver really not support Xv?

Thanks

1 Reply

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

Indeed, XV is not supported AFAIK. However we are capable of use QtMultimedia very in several projects and can assist you to accomplish your goals.

If there is no requirement for X11, stop using it. EGLFS is way more lean and performs better (plus other advantages). Regarding camera, we can look at it if you want.