cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 Yocto BSP support for Coin Cell Battery Charge through PMIC

g_moreno
Contributor III

Hello,

Is there any PMIC driver support for charging a coin cell battery (connected to the LICELL pin) from the internal LICELL charger ? The SABRE-AI platform uses an external LDO, but I would like to omit this hardware in my own i.MX6 board since the PMIC is fully capable of doing this task.

Tags (1)
4 Replies

marcocavallini
Contributor V

I'd like to have some hints about how to implement this feature into kernel-3.10.17 Devicetree and pfuze100-regulator.c

--

Marco

ivannikolaenko
Contributor IV

Hi Marco!

Please try to add

ret = regmap_write(pfuze_chip->regmap, 0x1a, 0x0c);

if (ret)

{

dev_err(&client->dev, "pfuze licell enable failed!\n");

return ret;

}

else

{

dev_info(&client->dev, "pfuze licell enabled.\n");

}

at the end of the pfuze100_regulator_probe function.

It should work.

valeriobardelli
Contributor I

It works! :smileyhappy:

Many thanks Ivan!

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hola Guillermo Moreno,

I’m not sure why there is an external LDO in the SABRE-Al Platform, probably for application were a LICELL is not connected, but the MMPF0100 PMIC supports charging of coin cell battery, this can be seen on the Sabre MCIMX6Q-SDB reference design schematics (Attached).

As mentioned in the MMPF0100 PMIC datasheet: The coin cell charger circuit will function as a current-limited voltage source, resulting in the CC/CV taper characteristic typically used for rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries. The coin cell charger is enabled via the COINCHEN bit while the coin cell voltage is programmable through the VCOIN[2:0] bits on register COINCTL.

More details can be seen on section 6.4.7.1 of the datasheet: http://cache.freescale.com/files/analog/doc/data_sheet/MMPF0100.pdf

Have a great day,
Jose Reyes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos