cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6, X11, and Yocto

Jump to solution
JasonDavis
Contributor II

The X11 version that ships with the latest 1.1.0 release for the i.MX6 seems to be an old release of X11 that does not support multi-touch.  The version of X11 that comes with Yocto seems to be a X11 7.7+ version that would.  Can anyone confirm that all the hardware acceleration features provided by the binary Vivante libraries provided with the 1.1.0 LTIB version still work in the Yocto version with the updated X11 version?

Thanks for the help.

Labels (4)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

Yes; the drivers now need DRI.

I have posted a patchset which partially address it and a new patchset should be on the way. I hope it fixes all issues regarding the DRI support.

I believe the way to go is with Yocto as it makes your life easier and allow you to reuse others work; in ultimate case it is easier to get commercial support using Yocto than LTIB (Wind River, Metro Graphics and us does it).

Please subscribe the mailing list (if you haven't done yet) and follow our work there.

PS: Yes, Open Source GPU drivers would help a lot but sometimes we need to deal with what we have at disposal...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

We're still working in 1.1.0 BSP update in Yocto; the Xorg is 1.11 (in current stable - danny) and 1.13 (in master).

The GPU support should be OK there.

What features you specifically need?

0 Kudos
JasonDavis
Contributor II

Basically since the LTIB X11 version did not support multi-touch, we rolled our own X11 implementation based on X.org 7.7 (xserver 1.12).  This seemed to provide us with GPU acceleration, but we used fbdev instead of the vivante_fbdev and we didn't have DRI support.

This worked OK until we tried upgrading to latest 1.1.0 SDK.  We got the vivante_fbdev stuff working but now GPU acceleration now seems to depend on DRI, which we can't get building correctly.  Yocto seems to have patches that may fix our build issues, but I was curious as to whether there were any other compatibility issues when using those Vivante binaries against later X11 versions.

PS: GPU manufacturers, please open source your drivers :smileyhappy:

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

Yes; the drivers now need DRI.

I have posted a patchset which partially address it and a new patchset should be on the way. I hope it fixes all issues regarding the DRI support.

I believe the way to go is with Yocto as it makes your life easier and allow you to reuse others work; in ultimate case it is easier to get commercial support using Yocto than LTIB (Wind River, Metro Graphics and us does it).

Please subscribe the mailing list (if you haven't done yet) and follow our work there.

PS: Yes, Open Source GPU drivers would help a lot but sometimes we need to deal with what we have at disposal...

0 Kudos