Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 VDDHIGH_IN Power Consumption

Jump to solution
atillametetured
Contributor V

Greetings,

Going through i.MX 6Dual/6Quad Power Consumption Measurement Application Note, numbers for the current consumpiton of VDDHIGH_IN does not exceed 100mA. I understand this is average and does not account for peak draws and Sabre Design Document states that a supply of at least 250 mA capaciy better be allocated for the domain, datasheet for PF0100 typical connection diagram advices SW2 to be used for this purpose, which has a capacity of 2000 mA. HW Development guide IMX6DQ6SDLHDG does the same and allocates SW2 for VDDHIGH_IN.

Going back to Sabre, initially, the design team for the board previously have had decided to use VGEN5 for the purpose which wasnt enough obviously and there were problems. Now I wish to ask the question, documents allocate a 2A source for the rail where as the EVM only does 100mA and then offers at least 250 mA. Basically I just want to use SW4 for VDDHIGH_IN and use SW2 for my peripherals because it has a larger capacity. Can SW4 be sufficient for supply of VDDHIGH_IN? None of the benchmarks or test cases load VDDHIGH_IN more than 100 mA. What is the purpose of specifically assigning 2A source ?

Best Regards,

Mete

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mete

I think yes NP PF0100 can be used with proper programming.

SW2_SEQ=2 will be good.

Best regards

igor

View solution in original post

5 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think SW4 will be fine.

~igor

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mete

IMX6DQ6SDLHDG and datasheet for PF0100 suggest allocation SW2 for VDDHIGH_IN

for F1,F2 pre-programmed OTP options, with SW2_VOLT=3.15V, SW2_SEQ=2.

i.MX 6Dual/6Quad "F0" pre-programmed OTP SW2 provides 3.3V (@6% accuracy according to

MMPF0100 datasheet) while 3.3V is max. VDDHIGH_IN allowable voltage according to i.MX6DQ datasheet,

so seems this choice is not quite fine. Benchmarks show load VDDHIGH_IN no more than 100 mA,

but these measurements were for 25C. As stated on spf-27392 p.20, at more higher temperatures

this current may significantly increase. There is no special purpose of specifically assigning 2A source,

selection is made based on choice of available power supplies.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
atillametetured
Contributor V

Hello Igor,

I believe the problems you mentioned could be eliminated by using a NP PF0100? As far as I am concerned, the problem here is not the current capactiy but the sequence and voltage rating of pre-programmed PMICs that make SW2 suitable for supplying VDDHIGH_IN. Am I correct?

Regards,

Mete

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mete

I think yes NP PF0100 can be used with proper programming.

SW2_SEQ=2 will be good.

Best regards

igor

atillametetured
Contributor V

You meant SW4 I believe, for our application, since it will be supplying VDDHIGH_IN.

0 Kudos