Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 VDD_SNVS_IN input voltage levels

Jump to solution
martin-schad
Contributor I

Hello,

I have a theoretical question related to the VDD_SNVS_IN maximum input voltage level.

Wandboard and Sabre Lite designs connect VDD_HIGH_IN and VDD_SNVS_IN inputs together and supply

both from a regulator 3.3V (±2%) rail without problems. This is a straightforward solution if the coincell

features of the iMX6 (or the PCMIC MMPF0100) are not needed.

Standard 3.3V power supplies have an output tolerance of about ±2% (ATX specifies ±5% for the 3.3V rail).

Therefore the VDD_SNVS_IN pin may "see" up to 3.465V (for 5% tolerance) or 3.366V (for 2% tolerance)

under worst case conditions when connected to a "typical" 3.3V rail.

But the iMX6 Solo/Dual Lite Data sheet specifies the following absolute maximum ratings:

- VDD_HIGH_IN input voltage: 3.6V

- VDD_SNVS_IN input voltage: 3.3V

Because the Sabre Lite and Wandboard solutions are working, I have the following question:

Can VDD_SNVS_IN input withstand 3.465V (if and only if it is connected to the VDD_HIGH_IN pin)

or is it required to keep the 3.3V rail below 3.3V under all circumstances, which means that we in fact need

a 3.0V...3.2V power source to supply VDD_SNVS_IN and VDD_HIGH_IN input pair ?

I don't understand the reason why the VDD_SNVS_IN input can tolerate 3.3V only while the VDD_HIGH_IN

input can tolerate up to 3.6V. They are internally connected with a bypass. Has this something to do with

the coincell charger electronics inside the iMX6 ?

Regards,

Martin.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Martin

yes VDD_SNVS_IN input can withstand 3.465V,

however reliability characteristics are guaranteed only under

datasheet conditions (up to 3.3V).

Seems one can add small schottky diode for lowering voltage.

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Martin

yes VDD_SNVS_IN input can withstand 3.465V,

however reliability characteristics are guaranteed only under

datasheet conditions (up to 3.3V).

Seems one can add small schottky diode for lowering voltage.

Best regards

chip

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos