i.MX6 Solo / LVDS panel artifacts

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 Solo / LVDS panel artifacts

philippzabel
Contributor I

Using the mainline kernel on i.MX6 Solo with connected LVDS panel, I see artifacts that look like some data lines to the LDB are one pixel clock late. These are especially apparent in horizontal red-to-black and black-to-red gradients, where one can see one pixel wide light or dark vertical stripes in regular intervals, depending on the direction of the gradient.

On one device with a 24-bit SPWG LVDS panel, the artifacts only appear in the red channel, and only when driving the LDB LVDS0 channel from IPU DI0. When switching to IPU DI1, the artifacts disappear completely. The DI pixel clock is synchronized to the LDB_DI clock, which is sourced from PLL5 in each case.

On another device with a 18-bit SPWG LVDS panel, the artifacts are stronger, appear also in the blue and green color channels, and are also visible when switching to DI1. When rendering 1-pixel wide vertical gradients, these don't appear as a straight line, but are shifted or spread over two pixels horizontally, depending on the brightness value. On this hardware, replacing the i.MX6S CPU module with an otherwise identical i.MX6Q CPU gets rid of the artifacts. What could be the cause of this behaviour?

0 Kudos
18 Replies

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Philipp,

Could this issue be related to this one? Check the "Summary: Recommended Configuration" table.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ops, forgot to add the link:

LVDS panel display corruption

0 Kudos

rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Philipp,

You can also try to invert the DI clock polarity.

0 Kudos

leavs
Contributor IV

Hi,

Do you know how to invert LVDS clock polarity? I use IMX6DL, Kernel 3.14.52, uboot 2015.04,  my new LCD's LVDS Clock is like follow. I need invert the LVDS clock polarity, But, I don't know how to setting the register.TIM截图20171201135915.png

0 Kudos

rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Leavs,

Unfortunately it's not possible to invert LVDS clock polarity by changing register values. See the following thread:

https://community.nxp.com/message/910486

0 Kudos

leavs
Contributor IV

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. There is some other way to drive my LCD  which CLK like above to work well?

0 Kudos

rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you need to invert LVDS clock polarity, have you tried to invert LVDS clock pins?

0 Kudos

leavs
Contributor IV

Hi,

You mean invert LVDS_CLK_P and LVDS_CLK_N ?

0 Kudos

rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes. I don't know if it works, but was the suggestion made on thread I sent.

0 Kudos

leavs
Contributor IV

Thanks for your reply, I tested invert the LVDS_CLK_P and LVDS_CLK_N, It don't work.

The follow is my original issue, your help is highly expected.

https://community.nxp.com/thread/465386

0 Kudos

rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Leavs, thanks for opening a new thread. I just answered.

Best regards,

Rogerio

0 Kudos

philippzabel
Contributor I

I should have mentioned this was the first thing I tried. That didn't result in any visible changes either.

0 Kudos

rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi philippzabel,

I don't know what could be happening. Do you know if it's reproducible on i.MX6 Sabre SD board?

I can try to test it on my board. What kernel and branch have you tested it? Do I need to apply any additional patch?

Rgds

Rogerio

0 Kudos

philippzabel
Contributor I

Hi Rogerio,

unfortunately I don't have access to any i.MX6Solo based Sabre board.

I have pushed a test branch with the current state that shows the symptoms on

Phytec PBA-B-01 with i.MX6Solo and EDT ETM0700G0DH6 LVDS panel here:

http://git.pengutronix.de/?p=pza/linux.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/test/pbab01-lvds

regards

Philipp

0 Kudos

rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Philipp,

I tested your kernel on i.MX6DL Sabre SD and I didn't have problems on LVDS display image.

Unfortunately I don't have any i.MX6S with LVDS to test.

I suppose your problem can be related to some wrong display timing setting.

Regards,

Rogerio

0 Kudos

rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Philipp,

I'm building your kernel to test on my board (i.MX6 Sabre SD).

Rgds

Rogerio

0 Kudos

rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This issue seems to be the exactly the one I had some time ago (I'm not sure).

The problem was solved changing the initialization sequence of LDB register, moving it to the end of the initialization sequence.

Original sequence : LDB -> IPU_MUX -> IPU.

Suggest sequence:  IPU_MUX -> IPU ->LDB.

Are you able to make some tests based on suggestion above? Please, let me know if you need more details and I can check if I can have more information.

philippzabel
Contributor I

Hi Rogerio,

thanks for the hint, unfortunately that did not help yet. Right now the sequence determined in drm_crtc_helper.c is:

encoder prepare -> crtc prepare -> crtc mode_set -> encoder mode_set -> crtc commit -> encoder commit

The LDB->DI clock parent is set in encoder prepare, then the IPU is enabled in crtc commit (enabling the pixel

clock and the LDB clocks), and LVDS_MUX and LDB are set in encoder commit. That is IPU -> MUX -> LDB.

I have moved the multiplexer setting from encoder commit to encoder mode_set, resulting in MUX -> IPU -> LDB.

I have a board with this problem on the desk ready for further tests.

I'd be happy if you could get more information about this issue.

0 Kudos