Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 SOLO HDMI Support

Jump to solution
mohammedazlum
Contributor IV

Hi Team,

According to the datasheet MCIMX6S1AVM08AD part doesn't support VPU and GPU. However when we go through the datasheet it can support HDMI, LVDS, RGB, LVDS display from IPU.

May I know how the same CPU (MCIMX6S1AVM08AD ) can support these display when there is no VPU ? There should be some image format to display the content on display. So when there is no VPU how the encoding and decoding is occurs on the display ?

Regards,

Azlum

0 Kudos
1 Solution
weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

>>What will be the default display format at display modules when there is no VPU ?

--VPU has no relations to display, it means VPU doesn't affect display funtion.

--The output of the display interface: LVDS(0/1)/RGB24/HDMI/MIPI DSI

You can control which interface is used to output display data in the u-boot environment variable.

In linux BSP, the default is LVDS1.

B.R,

weidong

View solution in original post

3 Replies
weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

>>What will be the default display format at display modules when there is no VPU ?

--VPU has no relations to display, it means VPU doesn't affect display funtion.

--The output of the display interface: LVDS(0/1)/RGB24/HDMI/MIPI DSI

You can control which interface is used to output display data in the u-boot environment variable.

In linux BSP, the default is LVDS1.

B.R,

weidong

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi mohammedazlum ,

See below,please!

>>May I know how the same CPU (MCIMX6S1AVM08AD ) can support these display when there is no VPU ? 

The display is only related to IPU. The VPU is a module used to support H.264/MPEG4 encoding and decoding, and has nothing to do with display.

>>So when there is no VPU how the encoding and decoding is occurs on the display ?

You can only decode and encode video data through software. However, the performance will be far from ideal.

Therefore, if you need H.264/MPEG4 encoding and decoding functions, 2D and 3D acceleration functions, it is best to choose a processor part number with VPU and GPU.

Hope  this information is helpful to you.

Have a nice day!

B.R,

Weidong

0 Kudos
mohammedazlum
Contributor IV

Dear Weidong,

Thanks for the reply.

What will be the default display format at display modules when there is no VPU ?

Regards,

Azlum

0 Kudos