cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 MfgTool problem

mladenmiljus
Contributor II

Hi,

I wanted to use Manufacturing tool to deploy images I made (u-boot.bin, uImage, rootfs created from rootfs.tar.bz2). I used http://www.freescale.com/files/training_pdf/WBNR_LA13_IMX6QPR_PDF.pdf?lang_cd=en as a reference on how to do it, since I had problems. But the manufacturing tool stoped when it come to oneiric.tgz. I noticed from the previous pdf that I should change it to 12_09_01_oneiric.tgz, but I wasn't able to find this file - so I used oneiric.gz that I found, but this reported an error and the tool stoped at this point. Where can I find this image?

Also, I couldn't find L3.0.35_1.1.0_UBUNTU_RFS or from that pdf as well, or L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_images_MX6Q.tar.gz. I noticed that the first is available at this link: i.MX 6 Q/D L3.0.35_1.1.0 GA release but that link for L3.0.35_1.1.0_UBUNTU_RFS is broken, as well as some others. Is this available, and where can I find it?

Also, I used Tera Term as a terminal as described, but it didn't show any information during the Mfg Tool process. Does somebody have an idea why is that?

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
6 Replies

mladenmiljus
Contributor II

Ok, so I have an update. I decided to gunzip the oneiric.gz file, then tar the file that came as a result -  in that way I got oneiric.tgz which I put in Mfgtools-Rel-4.1.0_130816_MX6Q_UPDATER\Profiles\MX6Q Linux Update\OS Firmware\files. I used these commands to achieve that:

gunzip oneiric.gz

tar -cvzf oneiric.tgz oneiric

WIth this change I was able to complete the Mfg Tool process, that is chapter 6 from i.MX_6Dual6Quad_SABRE-SD_Linux_User's_Guide.pdf, but I cannot complete chapter 9.2 - running the image from MMC/SD, that is I cannot enter U-Boot prompt. How can I access this prompt? I have attached the console output, the MfgTool.log and a picture of the completetion. So, a Removable Drive is made, but as soon as I restart the board to try to get into the U-Boot prompt (I have 3 seconds to do so, right?), I see the dive as a HID once more, and the removable drive is gone.

0 Kudos

shenglianglu
Contributor I

Hi Mladen,

I followed the same pdf instructions.

Capture1.PNG.png

so you did this step too?

0 Kudos

masonstone
Contributor I

Mladen,

I just went through the process of putting Ubuntu onto the Sabre SD, and tried your idea of tar-ing the oneiric bundle.

When I booted after installation, there was a kernel panic and all of the cores shut themselves down.

So I just renamed oneiric.gz to oneiric.tgz and placed it in the directory.  That worked.

(And to answer your question about getting into the u-boot prompt, you need to move the USB cable to the other port, and enable a serial console on your main computer.  Then set the DIP switches to point to the appropriate boot device.)

0 Kudos

mladenmiljus
Contributor II

Also, I can;t see my USB OTG port as a HID device on Device Manager any more after this error, and don't see how I can use MfgTool once more to try something else. How can this be achieved in the easiest way? Thank you.

0 Kudos

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can download what you need from the following link:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX6Q&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

MFG Tool: IMX_6DQ_MFG_TOOL

Ubuntu Linux: L3.0.35_4.1.0_UBUNTU_RFS_BSP

And you should use:  oneiric.tgz

Is your system is able to recognize the board and a com port ennumerated?

Best regards,
Sergio

0 Kudos

mladenmiljus
Contributor II

Hi Sergio,

I don't think you understood me, I'll try to be more detailed about what's bothering me. Did you mean to put three identical links? Can you tell me which one should I download? I have already previously downloaded L3.0.35_4.1.0_UBUNTU_RFS_BSP from this link- which I get as oneiric.gz when downloaded. When I download IMX_6DQ_MFG_TOOL from this link, I get Mfgtools-Rel-4.1.0_130816_MX6Q_UPDATER.gz, which in Profiles/MX6Q Linux Update/OS Firmware/files has oneiric.tgz, but it's corrupted and has 0 bytes. So, after looking at http://www.freescale.com/files/training_pdf/WBNR_LA13_IMX6QPR_PDF.pdf?lang_cd=en, I saw that it should be replaced with 12_09_01_oneiric.tgz (is it available somewhere?), but I can't find that one. So I replaced it with oneiric.gz, and changed ucl2.xml line <CMD state="Updater" type="push" body="pipe tar --numeric-owner -zxv -C /mnt/mmcblk0p1" file="files/oneiric.tgz">Sending and writting rootfs</CMD> with oneiric.gz, but the Mfg Tool crashed there. Should I also change the body command or what?

As for the Mfg Tool, when I connect the USB Debug port of my board to my host, I see it as a Port in Device manager. When I connect the USB OTG port, I see it as a Human Interface Device. However, when I started the Mfg Tool, the Device Manager stooped recognizing a HID, changed it to a drive, but the Manufacturing Tool crushed trying to push oneiric, and I couldn't use it again since it doesn't recognize the board as a HID-compliant device any more. What should I do to use it again so I can complete the procedure, and can you tell me why it stopped at oneiric? Thanks.

Best regards,

Mladen

0 Kudos