Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 IPU: semantic of BMA IPU microcode operation

Jump to solution
ensc
Contributor III

Hello,

i.MX6 Reference Manual describes in table 38-25 "DC template's commands description" the N parameter of the BMA instruction as

The N operand defines the N-number of routine's repetitions.

What is "routine" in this context?  E.g. have I to use this operation in a way like

0: HMA(4)

1: HMA1(2)

2: HLG(23)

3: BMA(LF=0, AF=0, N=42, SYNC=0)

4: HLG(STOP=1, 0)       /* noop */

to execute HLG(23) 42 times?    What would be the meaning of the STOP bit in BMA in this case?

Or, have I to write it like

0: HMA(3)

1: HMA1(4)

2: BMA(LF=0, AF=0, N=42, SYNC=0)

3: HLG(STOP=1, 0)

4: HLG(STOP=1, 23)

Is it possible to nest BMA instructions in this case (use LF=0 for outer and LF=1 for inner loop)?  Have I to restore HMA/HMA1 after leaving the internal loop?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Q. What is "routine" in this context?

A. In that sense, "routine" is a piece of code in the address range, starting at the lower branch address, stored in the branch address registers with the HMA/HMA1 commands, and ending at the address of the BMA instruction.

Q. have I to use this operation in a way like

4: HLG(STOP=1, 0) /* noop */

to execute HLG(23) 42 times?

A. Yes.

Q. What would be the meaning of the STOP bit in BMA in this case?

A. The STOP bit seems to be meaningless in that case.

Q. Is it possible to nest BMA instructions (use LF=0 for outer and LF=1 for inner loop)?

A. Yes, it seems to be possible to manage the nested loops with different counters, managed by the LF bit, with the BMA instructions.

Q. Have I to restore HMA/HMA1 after leaving the internal loop?

A. Yes.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Q. What is "routine" in this context?

A. In that sense, "routine" is a piece of code in the address range, starting at the lower branch address, stored in the branch address registers with the HMA/HMA1 commands, and ending at the address of the BMA instruction.

Q. have I to use this operation in a way like

4: HLG(STOP=1, 0) /* noop */

to execute HLG(23) 42 times?

A. Yes.

Q. What would be the meaning of the STOP bit in BMA in this case?

A. The STOP bit seems to be meaningless in that case.

Q. Is it possible to nest BMA instructions (use LF=0 for outer and LF=1 for inner loop)?

A. Yes, it seems to be possible to manage the nested loops with different counters, managed by the LF bit, with the BMA instructions.

Q. Have I to restore HMA/HMA1 after leaving the internal loop?

A. Yes.

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos