i.MX6 Ethernet issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 Ethernet issue

davidwretman
Contributor II

We’re currently working on an application with video streaming over Ethernet (RTP on UDP) on our custom i.MX6Quad Board running linux-imx 3.14.28.

We’re now experiencing an issue where the Ethernet link dies after a while (anything from a few minutes up to 30 minutes) of video streaming.  When this happens it is possible to send Ethernet packages e.g. by ping to a remote host but no more packages are received by the network stack. It seems as packages are received by the hardware because the interrupt counter is increasing but no more data is picked up by the driver.

Does anyone have any knowledge of bugs that might cause this problem?

Labels (3)
4 Replies

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have not see such issue before.
However I can provide some suggestions for more detailed diagnostic.

First please let me remind that if you can ping remote host the ssystem can both send and receive IP packages.
I mean it sends ping reqests and receives ping responces successfully.

Then please check if TCP level is OK. You can try to esteblish some connection like ftp or ssh from or to the board.

If it is working you need to check your application more detailed.
For example you can see network actuivity with tcpdump utility.

Have a great day,
Victor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

davidwretman
Contributor II

Hi Victor,

Thanks for replying.

I think I was unclear. The ping is not successful but i see on the host that the ICMP packet is received by the host I am trying to ping. No ping response is picked up by the i.MX board. The only thing that helps is bringing down the network interface and starting it again (with ifdown/ifup).

Regards,

David

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

It looks strange you can send but not receive. I think the problem could be with the PHY which is failing to send packets.

- Does this happen with one single board? Have you tried different boards?

- Have you tried a simple package broadcasting? Just to validate that is not the size of the packet which is impacting here?

- If you reset the application just after seeing the issue the problem persists? Or you are able to send/receive packet again for a while?

Without the help of sniffer captures it may be difficult to track down the problem.

Regards,
Carlos

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

davidwretman
Contributor II

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for replying!

It happens on all (or at least several) boards. Resetting the application does not help. The only thing that helps is bringing down the network interface and starting it again (with ifdown/ifup).

Regards,

David

0 Kudos