i.MX53 QSB Adeneo Android image Keyboard or Mouse not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX53 QSB Adeneo Android image Keyboard or Mouse not working

LarryEdington
Contributor I

I've got a brand new i.MX53 Quick Start Board running the Adeneo Android image in the micro SD card slot.

I can't get past the unlock screen.

I'm using a VGA monitor connected to the QSB.

No touch screen is attached.

I've tried different USB keyboards including Dell keyboards as the Adeneo document specifies should be used.

I've tried several USB mice.

I see USB enumeration failure messages via the serial output.

I've tried both the lower and upper USB port.

Only one device at a time and with a device in each port.

I've tried using hubs with no help.

Never have I seen a mouse cursor appear.

If I load the Linux image for the board all the mice and keyboards work fine with or without a hub and in both USB ports.

I just can't seem to get it working with the Adeneo Android image which Freescale says I must use for the QSB.

My board has the MC34708 PMIC.

Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any clues or ideas.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

LarryEdington
Contributor I

That indeed worked! But the older version still didn't allow the USB keyboard / mouse to work.

I got the Adeneo Gingerbread 4.2 version working thanks to Remi from Adeneo. I had the VGA port enabled on an older version that didn't have the fix for the QSB board and had neglected to turn on the VGA port on the 4.2 version that would work with the QSB.

For those who may stumble upon this thread looking for the same solution, don't forget to enable the VGA port if you aren't using an LCD on the QSB.

If you use a USB keyboard and mouse you'll need a hub connected to the top USB port just below the Ethernet connection. I used a hub that did not use an external power supply which worked fine. Some references I found online said you had to use a powered hub to get USB to work. Not so for my board.

Connect the QSB serial connection to a computer running a terminal program. Plug in the board and you should see a message on your terminal "Hit any key to stop autoboot:"

Hit a key on your terminal and you should get to a U-boot > prompt.

At the U-Boot prompt issue the following commands below:

U-Boot> setenv set_display run vga
U-Boot> save

Power cycle the board or hold down the reset button until you see the LED's change to 1 green and 1 red.

Now it should boot to the Android unlock screen.

0 Kudos

arunmitteam
Contributor III

Hi Larry,

I'm having the same question on the USB ports in QSB. So only one of  the USB port works with Adeneo's Ginger Bread and USB hub is the only solution?

Thanks in advance.

- Arun

0 Kudos

RodneyFulk
Contributor III

I had the same problem but had a display on the VGA screen..

If I am reading this right you need to turn on the VGA screen and the mouse and keyboard work?

I have a touch screen but want to get it working with the mouse and keyboard first to verify it is working before attempting to make my touch screen work. I have a VGA screen with a USB touch screen controller with included drivers.

Thanks!

I have the start-r board.

0 Kudos

swaraj
Contributor II
Try this command, $ input keyevent 82 This command should unlock the screen.
0 Kudos

LarryEdington
Contributor I

It came in a box labeled "Quick Start Board" i.MX53. I has the part number MCIMX53-START-R

Swaraj said:

Hi Larry,

How did you confirm that your board is QSB? If it is QSB, you shouldn't face any problem, if you have downloaded package from linaro.
Just confirm this, if it is start-R board, it should be written beside reset button.

Thanks
Swaraj
0 Kudos

swaraj
Contributor II
Hi Larry, How did you confirm that your board is QSB? If it is QSB, you shouldn't face any problem, if you have downloaded package from linaro. Just confirm this, if it is start-R board, it should be written beside reset button. Thanks Swaraj
0 Kudos

LarryEdington
Contributor I

I'm using the QSB.

Swaraj said:

Hi Larry,

Are you using IMX53 Start-R board or imx53_QSB. Now, i am facing the same issue. I was not able to use IMX53 start-R board for android, we cannot unlock the screen with this board. When i used same package with IMX53_QSB, i was able to use it fine without any issues. We can use VGA monitor for this.

Thanks &
Regards
Swaraj
0 Kudos

swaraj
Contributor II
Hi Larry, Are you using IMX53 Start-R board or imx53_QSB. Now, i am facing the same issue. I was not able to use IMX53 start-R board for android, we cannot unlock the screen with this board. When i used same package with IMX53_QSB, i was able to use it fine without any issues. We can use VGA monitor for this. Thanks & Regards Swaraj
0 Kudos

RobThompson
Contributor I

Hi Larry,

I have relatively limited experience with the QSB but my understanding was that the Android image available from Adeneo was built to primarily drive the WVGA LCD/Touchscreen that Freescale sells to support several evaluation boards including the QSB (the MCIMX28LCD available from DigiKey, Mouser, etc.).  I have successfully used the Adeneo Android with that LCD/Touchscreen.

Another option you may want to look into is the Android image for the iMX53 QSB from Linaro.org.  It is based on Android 4.x (ICS) and seems to initially target a VGA display (visit http://www.linaro.org/downloads/1205 and look for the i.MX53 target).  Note that I do not see the iMX53 target in the list of builds for June (1206) or July (1207) -- I hope that is not a bad omen.  Also note that I have not worked much with this image and do not know whether the USB keyboard or mouse support is included or not.  I just thought that you may want to look at this as an option.

I hope this information is somewhat helpful.  Good luck.

Regards,

Rob

0 Kudos