i.MX53 IPU Deinterlacer

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX53 IPU Deinterlacer

CraigPetku
Contributor III
Has anyone come across a white paper or a Linux driver which implements the HW deinterlacer found in the i.MX53?  After getting an ADV7180 running on CSI1, I now have odd/even fields that need to be combined (preferably using the IPU).  For a quick demo using the unit_tests it's easy just to crop and scale, but I'd really like to see the IPU do the heavy lifting.
Tags (1)
48 Replies

Swamy
Contributor III

Hello Charles and Jacky Huang,

I am using IMX53 ARD board with android 2.3.4.

I enabled the driver under Device Drivers > Multimedia device > Video Capture Adapters > MXC Camera/V4L2 PRP Features, and now my .config file is updated with "CONFIG_MXC_TVIN_ADV7180=y"...

Please let me know how shall I verify the video in? I have connected the camera to J42 connector of the ARD board.
I am not able to locate the unit test source. please suggest how to configure.

Regards,
Swamy

Jacky Huang said:

Hi charles

I use imx51, android 10.2 with ADV7180. but  i found the screen rolling endless.

how did you porting the adv7180 driver to android 10.2

Is it need to modify the camera HAL?

after I porting the adv7180 driver which is run normally on android 9.4 to android 10.2,

i got a rolling screen.

Could you give me some advice?

thanks

charles chang said:

I use imx51, android 10.3 with ADV7180.

the unit test program : mxc_v4l2_tvin runs well , it output de-interlaced frame on screen.

the de-interlace seems be done on the output path, not the capturing path.

0 Kudos

mithunk
Contributor II

I am using TV-in application.it is working fine for PAL but for NTSC,screen rolls :(

I am working on tvp5150 decoder driver and what registers have to set/modify to stop the the screen rolling for NTSC.

thanks,

0 Kudos

JackyHuang
Contributor III

Actually, I stop the screen rolling through  modify the adv7180 reg value,  the reg is about the NTSC V bit and F bit , 

the reg addr is 0xe5, 0xe6, 0xe7.

however,  I got some  sync issue that make the screen appear some antialiasing.

Are you resolve the issue through  modify the adv7180 reg value?

and, Could you explain how to passing the 480 lines of interest data to android camera routines?

actually, I can't get the point about the robust solution!

Hope you can tell me the detail of you solution.

Thanks advance!
Craig Petku said:

It's been several months since I got into the guts of the camera HAL and ADV7180, but here's some general comments.

The Gingerbread Camera HAL really wants a 4:3 aspect ratio.  The only format that I found would work was to have the 7180 report 720x480 back to V4L2 and ignore the fact that the frame is actually 525 lines.  This results in rolling video since the DMA buffer is configured for only 480 lines and the image is 525.  It also has terrible frame combining in the IPU routines.  One solution is to program the registers in the 7180 to only output 480 lines.  This can be done by carefully adjusting where the AV codes occur in the stream.  Once the blanked HS lines are discarded (on both fields) the IPU will do field combining which may result in combing artifacts but is usable in development.  The down side to this appears that iPOD video has slightly different timing and the first few lines get clipped.  A more robust approach would be to use the v4l2_capture routines to pull in 525 lines and de-interlace the video before passing the 480 lines of interest up to the android camera routines.  I have not had time to implement this yet.  I also reversed the field1 / field0 codes in the IPU routines since they seemed to be backwards, but this is not confirmed and the RM is of little use in interpreting the bitfields for the AV codes.

bikash
Contributor II

Hii jacky, can you please tell me, what value you set for register E5, E6 and E7 to stop scroll of NTSC std.

Regards,

Bikash

0 Kudos

CraigPetku
Contributor III

It's been several months since I got into the guts of the camera HAL and ADV7180, but here's some general comments.

The Gingerbread Camera HAL really wants a 4:3 aspect ratio.  The only format that I found would work was to have the 7180 report 720x480 back to V4L2 and ignore the fact that the frame is actually 525 lines.  This results in rolling video since the DMA buffer is configured for only 480 lines and the image is 525.  It also has terrible frame combining in the IPU routines.  One solution is to program the registers in the 7180 to only output 480 lines.  This can be done by carefully adjusting where the AV codes occur in the stream.  Once the blanked HS lines are discarded (on both fields) the IPU will do field combining which may result in combing artifacts but is usable in development.  The down side to this appears that iPOD video has slightly different timing and the first few lines get clipped.  A more robust approach would be to use the v4l2_capture routines to pull in 525 lines and de-interlace the video before passing the 480 lines of interest up to the android camera routines.  I have not had time to implement this yet.  I also reversed the field1 / field0 codes in the IPU routines since they seemed to be backwards, but this is not confirmed and the RM is of little use in interpreting the bitfields for the AV codes.

0 Kudos

JackyHuang
Contributor III

Hi charles

I use imx51, android 10.2 with ADV7180. but  i found the screen rolling endless.

how did you porting the adv7180 driver to android 10.2

Is it need to modify the camera HAL?

after I porting the adv7180 driver which is run normally on android 9.4 to android 10.2,

i got a rolling screen.

Could you give me some advice?

thanks

charles chang said:

the unit test program : mxc_v4l2_tvin runs well , it output de-interlaced frame on screen.

0 Kudos

WillSheppard
Contributor I

Hello,

I was unable to get the VDI module working but as for the display issue we managed to fix that.

We had the issue where Field A and B were displayed one above the other.

We now see interlaced video whereby the two fields are put into memory by interleaving their repsective lines. Of course you will see "combing artefacts" but that is becuase the video needs to be de-interlaced; however, it has been sufficient for us to use it this way.

The relevant entry is in the file ipu_common.c as mentioned earlier. If you ensure your IPU logical channel is calling the set_interlaced function, the memory writes will put the frames together as interleaved data not separate fields.

0 Kudos

Ananth
Contributor III

I was able to fix this problem by programming drivers/media/video/mxc/capture/mxc_v4l2_capture.c .active_top =13 to .active_top = 3. And i was able to view the video in a good form using

mxc_v4l2_tvin.out -ow 720 -oh 480 -ol 20 -f UYVY

i was able to see a video interlaced form of video as told by Lautaro Carmona by using mxc_v4l2_capture.out file.

Queries

1. I am looking for any method/patches in IMX53 to avoid frame rolling issue (other than mentioned fix).

2. From my De-coder(tvp5147) i was able to get 720x480 but in my start of line and end of line i have some blank data getting appended.

So i wish to crop it from 720 to 700 by programming 20 pixel skip from left. so i tried "-l" option in  mxc_v4l2_capture.out

but it is not working ... Any suggestion for this problem ?

3. i wish to take even lines frame and odd lines frame out of image. So i used -t as 240 and output dimension as 720x240 in mxc_v4l2_capture.out. My method it is not working ... Any suggestion for this problem ?

0 Kudos

Ananth
Contributor III

I use TVP5151 + imx53

I use mxv_v4l2_tvin test app and in the output the image seen in the monitor "rolls".

I tried adding

p->u.bt656.clock_curr = 0;

nothing works :-(

Any fix/workaround for this problem  ?

0 Kudos

LautaroCarmona1
Contributor II

Here is a picture of what we are capturing with TVP5147 and i.MX51's CSI.

It seems that the CSI is not performing deinterlacing and here it can be seen that we are receiving the two fields of every frame as two separated image of 288 lines each, and that they are being drawn together.

To capture this raw video I executed this command:

/unit_tests/mxc_v4l2_capture.out -iw 720 -ih 576 -ow 720 -oh 576 -f UYVY -fr 15 test.yuv

Then we played it with this other command :

mplayer -rawvideo w=720:h=576:fps=15mat=uyvy -demuxer rawvideo test.yuv

P.S.: we also tried with both possible values (0 and 1) to the "-i" argument in order to try csi->prp->mem and csi->mem path with the same results! :(

charleschang
Contributor III

I use ADV7180 + imx51.  android 10.3.1

the unit test program mxc_v4l2_tvin runs well, it output de-interlaced frame on overlay. and no need to memcpy each frame.

--  the mxv_v4l2_tvin code is different fromt imx53. though they have the same filename.

just a little bug , the default video standard is PAL, it sync fail when we input the NTSC video.

and 

sometime it hangs when video source is disappeared for a short period.

iWavesystems said:

Eric,

We need de-interlace support in i.MX51 CSI1 interface & we are struggling to bring-up.

Can you share the de-interlacing support on i.mx51CSI1 interface+ADV7180?

0 Kudos

fcs
Contributor IV

I found an earlier version of mxc_v4l2_tvin from 2009 which doesn't do a memcpy, however it only displays one field (288 lines) and expands this to cover the whole screen ie vertical resolution is halved. The 2011 version of mxc_v4l2_tvin uses memcpy and so has high latency. I am having trouble understanding why there doesn't seem to be demo code with low latency AND de-interlacing

0 Kudos

henri_bragge
Contributor II

I was asking this around some time ago and got the answer that for using VDIC for de-interlacing, it needs three fields, but only one field can be input from CSI directly (the other two fields still need be sent from memory). That's why VDIC is only useful for output path where required fields can be sent from memory.

There could also be some ways to use CSI->MEM path without memcpy but I haven't figured out how it should work. At the moment I have exactly the same problems as you do.

fcs
Contributor IV

Has anyone had success experimenting with the Interlace Offset parameter referred to in iMX53RM.pdf page 2675? I know it is set by _ipu_ch_param_set_interlaced_scan but maybe the driver is not quite doing it correctly?

I am guessing the VDI is for motion blurring, but that is not really necessary for us, surely the DMA can just alternately copy each field into a single buffer separated by the Interlace Offset and thus accomplish de-interlacing quite simply.

0 Kudos

fcs
Contributor IV

The VDIC is being fed a deinterlaced image. The deinterlacing is done the straightforward way, by writing lines with a stride twice the line width and offsetting the line write by the Interlace Offset.

However the VDIC effectively throws away one field (regardless of the motion blurring parameter which may be 0,1 or 2), and replaces it with an average of the pixels above and below it - quite unsuitable for our purposes.

To reduce latency we are capturing into one buffer and then samping this buffer at 20ms intervals using the Threshold IRQ and End of Frame IRQ. This is to reduce latency by 20ms. To further reduce latency we want to use a DMA-only approach, so the IC post-processing (resizing) input is set to the capture buffer, and in the MEM_PP_MEM IRQ the output is set to one of the display buffers. However the IC only seems to work about 5 frames per second. The data rate should be well within the capabilities of the IC (see Reference Manual section 8.2.2.3 page 552)

0 Kudos

fcs
Contributor IV

I solved the IC problem by ensuring DMA 11 is set up to be double-buffered in ipu_init_channel_buffer. Now I get an IRQ 7ms after each ipu_select_buffer( MEM_PP_MEM, IPU_INPUT_BUFFER, 0 or 1 ). ipu_link_channels( MEM_PP_MEM, MEM_BG_SYNC ) avoids having to do any work in the IRQ. There is now no queue management and user-space has no involvement after setting up the streaming.

0 Kudos

fcs
Contributor IV

Thanks, I might add the low-latency/non-memcpy approach also has the advantage of being resistant to an overloaded CPU or kernel panic - the video preview would continue running regardless - a good feature for mission-critical applications.

0 Kudos

LautaroCarmona1
Contributor II

Dear Craig,

Hi! Thanks for your advice! I could not test it until today!

As you suggested us, we looked at drivers/media/video/mxc/capture/mxc_v4l2_capture.c and we found this piece of code:

/* This may not work on other platforms. Check when adding a new one.*/

pr_debug(" clock_curr=mclk=%d\n", ifparm.u.bt656.clock_curr);
if (ifparm.u.bt656.clock_curr == 0) {
csi_param.clk_mode = IPU_CSI_CLK_MODE_CCIR656_INTERLACED;
} else {
csi_param.clk_mode = IPU_CSI_CLK_MODE_GATED_CLK;
}
csi_param.pixclk_pol = ifparm.u.bt656.latch_clk_inv;

if (ifparm.u.bt656.mode == V4L2_IF_TYPE_BT656_MODE_NOBT_8BIT) {
csi_param.data_width = IPU_CSI_DATA_WIDTH_8;
} else if (ifparm.u.bt656.mode== V4L2_IF_TYPE_BT656_MODE_NOBT_10BIT) {
csi_param.data_width = IPU_CSI_DATA_WIDTH_10;
} else {
}

So, we assumed that the clock setting you were talking about was ifparm.u.bt656.clock_curr .

Then, we modified our driver in order to set this value to return a 0, like this:

static int ioctl_g_ifparm(struct v4l2_int_device *s, struct v4l2_ifparm *p)

{
#ifdef DEBUG
printk("In tvp5147:ioctl_g_ifparm\n");
#endif

if (s == NULL) {
printk("<3>"" ERROR!! no slave device set!\n");
return -1;
}

/* Initialize structure to 0s then set any non-0 values. */
memset(p, 0, sizeof(*p));
p->if_type = V4L2_IF_TYPE_BT656; /* This is the only possibility.*/
p->u.bt656.mode = V4L2_IF_TYPE_BT656_MODE_BT_10BIT;
//p->u.bt656.nobt_hs_inv = 1;
p->u.bt656.bt_sync_correct = 1;

/* tvp5147 has a dedicated clock so no clock settings needed. */

p->u.bt656.clock_curr = 0;

return 0;
}

And then we also add some printk's in mxc_v4l2_capture.c :

if (ifparm.u.bt656.clock_curr == 0) {

csi_param.clk_mode = IPU_CSI_CLK_MODE_CCIR656_INTERLACED;

printk("INTERLACED!!\n");
} else {
csi_param.clk_mode = IPU_CSI_CLK_MODE_GATED_CLK;

printk("NOT INTERLACED!!\n");
}

Finally, we run the mxc_v4l2_overlay.out and mxc_v4l2_capture.out unit tests, but in both cases we saw the same results: two separated image of about 288 lines each vertically aligned (instead of one unique image of 576 lines), and in the serial console we could see the printk output "INTERLACED!!".

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Lautaro

P.S.: We still have to try to capture using the csi->mem path

Craig Petku said:

To start with I am working with the 10.2 version of FSL android. However, looking at an older ltib release from 2010 it looks like ths has been out for awhile.

Look at ./drivers/mxc/ipu3/ipu_common.c. You should find something like...

if (_ipu_chan_is_interlaced(channel)) {
        _ipu_ch_param_set_interlaced_scan(dma_chan);
    }

In my case this handles the CSI-MEM deinterlacing.

So Where does the interlace parameter come from?...

Look at mxc_v4l_open in ./drivers/media/video/mxc/capture

Older distro's have something like

/* Once we handle multiple inputs this will need to change. */
        csi_param.csi = 0;

if (ifparm.u.bt656.mode
                == V4L2_IF_TYPE_BT656_MODE_NOBT_8BIT)
        else if (ifparm.u.bt656.mode
                == V4L2_IF_TYPE_BT656_MODE_NOBT_10BIT)

Newer ones include the magic parameter based upon a clock setting returned by the sensor driver.  Sorry I can't post the actual code tonight, so I'll try from work tomorrow.  Worst case, pull down the latest version of the linux OS and look in the mxc_capture around where I posted, then update your sensor driver to return a 0 (I think) in the parameter that results in interlaced video being identified.

0 Kudos

charleschang
Contributor III

0 Kudos

fcs
Contributor IV

The problem with the latest version of mxc_v4l2_tvin is that it does a memcpy from an output buffer to the framebuffer. This adds noticable latency. Whereas using the DMA has much lower latency, around 40ms.

0 Kudos

CraigPetku
Contributor III

To start with I am working with the 10.2 version of FSL android. However, looking at an older ltib release from 2010 it looks like ths has been out for awhile.

Look at ./drivers/mxc/ipu3/ipu_common.c. You should find something like...

if (_ipu_chan_is_interlaced(channel)) {
        _ipu_ch_param_set_interlaced_scan(dma_chan);
    }

In my case this handles the CSI-MEM deinterlacing.

So Where does the interlace parameter come from?...

Look at mxc_v4l_open in ./drivers/media/video/mxc/capture

Older distro's have something like

/* Once we handle multiple inputs this will need to change. */
        csi_param.csi = 0;

if (ifparm.u.bt656.mode
                == V4L2_IF_TYPE_BT656_MODE_NOBT_8BIT)
        else if (ifparm.u.bt656.mode
                == V4L2_IF_TYPE_BT656_MODE_NOBT_10BIT)

Newer ones include the magic parameter based upon a clock setting returned by the sensor driver.  Sorry I can't post the actual code tonight, so I'll try from work tomorrow.  Worst case, pull down the latest version of the linux OS and look in the mxc_capture around where I posted, then update your sensor driver to return a 0 (I think) in the parameter that results in interlaced video being identified.

0 Kudos