cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(i.MX280) Firmware update by Mfgtools fails

hikaruuruno
Contributor III

Dear Community,

We are having a trouble with updating firmware by Mfgtools.
When we try to update firmware for a certain custom board by Mfgtools, it fails with the following log;

Friday, October 02, 2015 11:37:28
1 - Panel A Start processing Singlechip NAND uboot1 kernel2 UBI <LIST/>.
Panel A Start <CMD/> type="boot" body="Recovery" file="updater_ivt.sb" timeout="60" onError="" text="Booting Update Firmware.".
1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="boot" body="Recovery" file="updater_ivt.sb" timeout="60" onError="" text="Booting Update Firmware." SUCCESS code=0x0.
Panel A Start <CMD/> type="find" body="Updater" file="" timeout="180" onError="" text="".
Panel A UtpUpdate Event: DeviceRemoval Msg: (null) DevState: Disconnected OpState: WAITING_FOR_DEVICE
Panel A UtpUpdate Event: DeviceArrival Msg: (null) DevState: Recovery OpState: WAITING_FOR_DEVICE
1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="find" body="Updater" file="" timeout="180" onError="" text="" FAIL code=0xffff0002.
Panel A: Wrong device found.,failed to run command: type="find" body="Updater" file="" timeout="180" onError="" text="" 
2 - Panel A Finished processing Singlechip NAND uboot1 kernel2 UBI <LIST/> : FAIL code=-65534.
Panel A: Reason is unknown,

The serial log is as follows;

HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFLC
PowerPrep start initialize power...

Configured for 5v only power source.            Battery powered operation disabled.
LLLCMay 26 201509:08:44
FRAC 0x92925552
memory type is DDR2
                   Wait for ddr ready 1power 0x00820710
Frac 0x92925552
start change cpu freq
hbus 0x00000003
cpu 0x00010001
LLLLLLLFLCLFLLJ
Undefined Ins

Does anyone know what's wrong with the board?
The chip is i.MX280.

The configuration of the board is 5v-only, and it has a nand flash (boot device) and a ddr2 ram.
I searched the Community but could not find the solution for this issue.

It just happens to a certain board.
There was no problem with the board until we replace the ddr2 chip on the board.
The firmware (Linux) written on the board before replacing the ddr2 could be booted without problem after replacing the ddr2.
Thus I assumed that replacing ddr2 was successful. (If ddr2 is not working, boot cannot be finished.)
Usually, updating firmware takes about 60 seconds. But when I tried it for the first time after replacing ddr2, it didn't finished for ca. 120 seconds. (Unfortunately, I wasn't taking log then...)
So I severed the power and tried again.
From then on, the log's been as I described above.

I assume either NAND or the new DDR2 is causing the problem.
But since there is not many boards to spare, we'd like to identify the cause of the problem before replacing ICs with spare ones.

Thank you,
Hikaru Uruno

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hikaru

"Undefined Ins" and reboot may lead to suggestion that

ddr memory is not working properly, suggest to run ddr test.

Also it may be suggested to check power lines on that board.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hikaruuruno
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

Thank you for the suggestion.

The board has only two boot options, nand and usb.

As we cannot update the firmware, there is no way to run memory test...

I suppose we'd better forget about the board and try another one to test new ddr2.

I checked the power of the board and there was no problem with it.

(The output voltage of VDD4P2 was low as the startup process is not completed.)

Best regards,

Hikaru

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hikaru

I think you are right, one can try to replace (or

resolder) ddr part

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos