cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX28 EVK - Need help configuring and bring up USB OTG as Device

JayWilliamStubb
Contributor II

Hi All,

I have a i.MX28 EVK Rev. D board. I need the USB OTG port to operate as a device. I initially want to have this work as a mass storage device using part of the SD card. Eventually, I'd like to make this a composite device (Mass Storage and Communications). I have Linux L2.6.35.3 loaded on the board. I've followed the instructions concerning configuring LTIB for USB in Ch. 24 of the "i.MX28 EVK Linux" manual. I get errors as displayed in the attachment when I bring up the board. I don't know what it means, but it doesn't look good for USB! I don't think the PC enumerates the USB port when I plug it in. What else do I need to do, besides properly configuration of the kernel, to get USB up and working? I'm just not sure where to start. What code do I need to write to use the built in Linux USB Gadget drivers, or how do I configure them?  Any input would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

JayWilliamStubb
Contributor II

Hi Qiang,

I downloaded and installed the MFG Tool as you suggested. It took a little while to figure out how to use it, but I successfully loaded the image of L2.6.35_10.12.01 BSP onto the SD card.

When I booted from the SD card, I didn't see the following errors I had gotten using the script:

"cp: write error: No space left on device"

"mount: mounting usbfs on /proc/bus/usb failed: No such file or directory"

Now I need to try it with my build (when I can do so successfully). 

Thanks for the heads up on the MFG Tool.

I'll have to see what I can do on the USB drivers now.

0 Kudos

JayWilliamStubb
Contributor II

Hi Qiang,

Thanks for the info. I've only used the script. I'll download and try the MFGTool and let you know what happens.

0 Kudos

qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I haven't tried the MK_MX28_SD script, I always used the MFGTool to burn the SD card, it can be downloaded from http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX287&nodeId=018rH3ZrDRA24A&fpsp=1&...

Development Tools -> Programmers (Flash, etc.) (5)

IMX_MFG_TOOL  : Tool and documentation for downloading OS images to the i.MX53, i.MX51, i.MX50, i.MX28 and i.MX23.
Size (K): 241160 Format: zip Rev #: 1.6.2.042 Modified: 10/27/2011

0 Kudos

JayWilliamStubb
Contributor II

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. It sounds reasonable. The SD card is not in the write protect lock state.

How would I do this? I use the "MK_MX28_SD" script running on Linux to create the SD card. Do I need to modify the script? Do I need to use Linux's "Disk Utility" program to create and format some partition? I used a larger SD card (4G instead of 2G) and the "EXT2-fs (mmcblk0p3): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 32032" message went away. I still get "cp: write error: No space left on device" and "mount: mounting usbfs on /proc/bus/usb failed: No such file or directory". There's obviously still something wrong. I uploaded the new scrren dump. Maybe someone can see something else that may be the root problem.

I still need some pointers on where to start as far as setting this port up for enumeration and actually creating a driver. I think I could call the built in Linux Gadget Drivers, but am not sure of how to go about this. Pointers on this would be helpful too.

0 Kudos

qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

From your log, the rootfs partition(mmcblk0p3) on SD card is too small, you can increase that partition and try again.

By the way, please make sure your SD card is not in write protect lock state.

0 Kudos