cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX 8M Quad 3GB/4GB LPDDR4 RAM - Replacement Suggestion

Haider_Ali
Contributor II

Hello

We designed a custom board based on NXP i.MX 8M Quad MPU which has a 3GiB LPDDR4 memory module from Micron "MT53E768M32D4DT-053 AIT:E" (same as in Eval. board) but now we came to know that it is near to EOL and will be obsoleted soon.

Is there any part that you suggest as a direct replacement to this? if not what are the other options, please suggest some parts which are similar specs and/or tested and can be used as a replacement to it. We are looking for 3GB or 4GB memory modules.

I also referred to following blog but it seems the 4GB part list here is also near to EOL.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-8M-Quad-8M-Mini-8M-Nano-8M-Plus-LPD...

Will following part (MT53E1G32D2FW-046 AAT:C) work fine with i.MX 8M Quad (MIMX8MQ6CVAHZAB) ? 

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/micron-technology-inc/MT53E1G32D2FW-046-AAT-C/18094061

Do suggest if there are any 3GB parts available. 

I would also like to know what is the difference between dual die and quad die RAM modules and how it affect the performance (what are pro and cons of using one over another?), does this MPU i.MX 8M Quad support both configuration? 

Appreciate if you can share any guide or application note related to RAM memory module selection and parameters to consider.

Thank you

Labels (1)
2 Replies

onyourlight
Contributor III

MT53E768M32D4DT-053 AIT:E  no  eol

0 Kudos

JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Is there any part that you suggest as a direct replacement to this?

The list of tested part numbers is on i.MX 8M Quad/8M Mini/8M Nano/8M Plus - LPDDR4, DDR4 and DDR3L memory compatibility guide, we do not have a list of recommended parts as a direct replacement for Micron "MT53E768M32D4DT-053 AIT:E".

Will following part (MT53E1G32D2FW-046 AAT:C) work fine with i.MX 8M Quad (MIMX8MQ6CVAHZAB) ?

It should work with i.MX 8M Quad.

I would also like to know what is the difference between dual die and quad die RAM modules and how it affect the performance (what are pro and cons of using one over another?), does this MPU i.MX 8M Quad support both configuration?

Both devices are the same from the configuration point of view. From this perspective, the new device should be a drop-in replacement. ART just needs to take into account that the package is a little different - the new memory has slightly higher profile and also the diameter of the BGA balls is by 0.05 mm bigger, which should be evaluated against current PCB design. Also, I would recommend to perform simulations with the new device's IBIS model to see if any changes in signal integrity are expected.

Best regards.

0 Kudos