I'm currently measuring the power consumption of iMX 8M Plus and I noticed high power consumption & a lot of heat development.
How to replicate:
1) Install Yocto on the iMX 8M Plus SoM, following this document https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX_YOCTO_PROJECT_USERS_GUIDE.pdf
2) Display, ethernet disconnected.
3) Boot up the system and measure current and voltage.
1) the board, powered at 5,00V consumes 0.340 A for a total of 1,7 W.
2) Consumption is stable over time.
3) CPU 0.4% out of 400% stable.
4) Clock is at 1600 Mhz
5) Heatsink is untouchably hot,
6) Both thermal zones are at 48 to 53 degrees at room temperature.
Clearly there should be a clever solution to this, but I first need to understand how to discriminate if is this a sw or hw problem. Any idea?
I've found this: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12410.pdf relative to iMX 8M Mini but not the equivalent for iMX 8M Plus. Is it available?
>..solution to this, but I first need to understand how to discriminate if is this a sw or hw problem...
yes this may be software problem
>..AN12410.pdf relative to iMX 8M Mini but not the equivalent for iMX 8M Plus. Is it available?
such document can be obtained through local marketing office, as this processor is not
publicly released yet, as described in below link : "PREPRODUCTION" in red.