i.MX 8M Plus LPDDR4 DDR Tool on I-Temp Processor

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX 8M Plus LPDDR4 DDR Tool on I-Temp Processor

NATHANKLOGIC
Contributor III

I am working on a custom design based on the i.MX 8M Plus (Quad) processor.  We are using the MIMX8ML8CVNKZAB processor for design.  I ran into failures using the mscale_ddr_tool _v3.30 when trying to test my board from -25C to +85C, the rated temperature of the LPDDR4,  MT53E1536M32D4DT-046 WT:A.  I was seeing failures at both temperature extremes and have solutions for each, but I am wondering if the software can be updated to help with them.

-25C : I found that the default boot software is running the ARM core at 1800Mhz, which is higher than the I-Temp version of the processor is rated for (1600MHz).  I changed the "Clock" setting in the DDR Tool GUI to 1600Mhz, but the output was still showing 1800MHz for the ARM clock.  A setting of 1200MHz for the "Clock" did work in the output, and my LPDDR4 Stress Test passes at -25C with this setting.  Is it possible to update the software to support the I-Temp version of the processor and the max speed of 1600MHz on the ARM core?  Since the RAM is still operating at 2000MHz I am pretty confident in our system design, but it would be nice to run everything at full speed.

+85C : I was seeing failures on the RAM when the ambient temperature reached about +75-80C.  I was able to get the boards to pass by manually turning off the DERATE_ENABLE and setting the T_RFC_NOM_X32 to half the value the RAM chip says for room temperature operation.  A similar scheme was utilized for the Mini/Nano version of the processor to work around a silicon bug (ERR050805).  However, it is not clear to me why I need to make this adjustment for the Plus processor; I was expecting that the DERATE_ENABLE should be working for the Plus.  Can you tell me what the RAM controller/code does if the RAM chip MR4[2:0] (Refresh Rate) reports back 3b111: SDRAM High temperature operating limit exceeded?  I would think it keeps operating at 0.25x refresh, with de-rating, but I wanted to verify.  Related, I noticed the RPA spreadsheet sets DERATE_MR4_TUF_DIS to 1 to disable the Temperature update flag from the LPDDR4 chip; I assume that means the software/controller checks the Refresh Rate on a regular basis instead of using an interrupt?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You can use the following command to see the supported CPU frequency:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

And you also need to confirm your source code setting, if support all the frequency.

0 Kudos

NATHANKLOGIC
Contributor III

Thanks for the response.  The LPDDR4 DDR Tool boots from USB and the boot code is a pre-configured binary from NXP, so I do not have access to look at the source code or update it for the necessary frequencies.  I was hoping NXP has a planned update to the tool to support the I-Temp 8M Plus processor.

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos