cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to configure kernel for using MFGtools on imx6ul

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hello,

I would need to update the image on phytec imx6ul SOm boards using MFGtools v2. The MFG application on the Windows PC does not recognize the board(OTG in device mode is configured and g_masss_storage module loaded).

I have read that how should I confgiure UTP on top of mass storage driver in order for MFG comunication to work. Is this true?

Where could I read about the steps to confgure the imx6ul image in roder for me to be able to use MFGtools successfully?

Thanks,

Mihaita

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mihaita

please check sect.6 Using the Manufacturing Tool Hardware Development Guide

for the i.MX 6UltraLite Applications Processor
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX6ULHDG.pdf

and MFG Tool guide on

AMF-ACC-T1652 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

Thanks for pointing me to the correct documentation.

I am not able to build an image for MFGtools:

ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'fsl-image-mfgtools-initramfs'

I am using yocto BSP for phyboard_segin_imx6ul board.

What should I change in my recipes in order to build for mfgtools?

Best regards,

Mihaita

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mihaita

one can follow sect.6.2 Manufacturing Tool, MFGTool attached Yocto Guide and nxp bsp:

linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

phytec developed own bsp and issues with it may be addressed to its support.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

Thanks again for your message. The problem remains that neither  here Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf       is explained how do I checkout and where from the mfg support layer. Just briefly discusses how to build it.

So what git repository exactly I need to fetch in order to be able to run successfully:

bitbake fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs

I have browsed linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel  but could not find anything related to MFG. I f I download the MFGTool from NXP page it contains only Windows executables and scripts. NO MFG specific BSP image.

So where do I get the MFG imx6 BSP image from ? 

The documentation provided by you does not cover this and I could not figure it out from other sources or topics opened on this forum.

Your detailed answer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mihaita

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mihaita

phytec bsps may not support it.

Please use nxp bsps described below

https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/run-time-software/i.mx-developer-resources/i.mx-6ser...

NXP has special service which helps customers to port own software:

NXP Professional Services|NXP 

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your answer.

At this link https://community.nxp.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nxp.com%2Fsupport%2Fdeveloper-res... 

there are the MFGtool binaries and imx6ul BSP pre-built images(but not one has support for MFGtool).

There is no pre-built image, any User guide on how to enable or add support for MFGTool in your image).

Please see the snapshot attached from NXP page

pastedImage_3.png

All I got so far from NXP official documentation is this small reference: 

pastedImage_2.png

I would need to read somewhere on how to clone MFG layer from NXP and how to enable it in recipes.

After that I can build an imx6 image with MFGtool support so I can then use successfully the MFGTool.exe binary on a Windows PC to update my board

Thanks,

Mihaita Ivascu

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

one can look at example of mfg tool customization on

4.4. Installing a Development Build using USB — Working with the Rigado Vesta Gateway v1.0.14 docume... 

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the answer. That is an explanation how to configure MFGtool and scripts on the PC side where the application is launched from.

I was wondering if there is any documentation or example on how to configure the BSP image for supporting MFGtool.

My understanding as that when you run MFGTool.exe on PC in order for the application to correctly connect to the target, you have to have a customized BSP image with MFGtool support running on the target already. Is this correct?

If yes, the I would need to read somewhere how to clone the mfg layer and customize my image with it, in order for me to successfully run the following command:

pastedImage_1.png

There is no documentation that I found so far or example that explains how to get to this point of having the needed mfg layer cloned and the correct recipe configured. Where can I read about it?

Thanks,

Mihaita

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

I have added necessary files similar to here(.b and .inc for mfg):

meta-fsl-arm - Layer containing Freescale ARM hardware support metadata 

But is it enough?

Best regards, 

Mihaita

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Do I need to add support for MFG in kernel as well by adding support for UTP protocol like in this patch?

u-boot-acadia1.0-beta/0121-ENGR00124391-mx35-update-mfg-config-file.patch at master · linksprite/u-b... 

Thanks,

Mihaita

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

I got further and was able to start the loading process from MFGtool application but is stops at some point before first "push" command from ucl2.xml

I have attached the MFGTool log. 

Do you have any suggestion on what I might need to investigate next?

Best regards,

Mihaita

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

For the problem with MFGTool stuck at "Jump to Ramkernel successfully!"  I would like to mention that I am trying to load my own images: barebox bootloader, dtb, kernel image and rootfs as can be seen in the ucl2.xml.

I saw that for similar issues you have suggested to other people to run ddr stress tool and to update the mfgtools firmware. Should I use that approach?   

Is there any issue that I am trying to load barebox from MFGTools2. I see that in the firmware directory the tools comes only with predefined u-boot images. No barebox images

Thanks,

Mihaita

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mihaita

> I saw that for similar issues you have suggested to other people to run ddr stress tool and to

>update the mfgtools firmware. Should I use that approach?   

yes this is right: for new board mfg tools firmware (files in /firmware folder) should be rebuilt

with new calibration settings (usually they are in uboot/../mx6ul_14x14_evk/imximage.cfg) found from ddr test.

>   Is there any issue that I am trying to load barebox from MFGTools2.

in general custom codes can be run using mfg tools (please check documentation included in package).

However you should find yourself solution for running barebox from MFGTools2, NXP does not provide it

in its official BSPs described on

i.MX Software|NXP 

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

I managed to make progress using uboot provided by MFGtools for im6ul evk board I have.

I am stuck at loading at flashing bootloader stage. Please see the log.

What should I investigate next?

Thanks,

Mihaita

0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

I was able to update the NAND succesfully using MFGtools.

But when I try to boot the image I got the following issues:

booting 'nand'
ubi0 error: scan_peb: bad image sequence number 459621934 in PEB 832, expected 706885778
Erase counter header dump:
        magic          0x55424923
        version        1
        ec             1
        vid_hdr_offset 2048
        data_offset    4096
        image_seq      459621934
        hdr_crc        0x49c942ea
erase counter header hexdump:
00000000: 23494255 00000001 00000000 01000000                UBI#............
00000010: 00080000 00100000 2e46651b 00000000                .........eF.....
00000020: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000                ................
00000030: 00000000 00000000 00000000 ea42c949                ............I.B.
ubi0 error: ubi_attach_mtd_dev: failed to attach mtd0, error -22
failed to attach: Invalid argument
could not open /dev/nand0.root.ubi.kernel: No such file or directory
Booting 'nand' failed: No such file or directory
booting 'nand' failed: No such file or directory
    What could be wrong?
Thanks,
       Mihaita
0 Kudos

mihaitaivascu
Contributor III

I will close this topic as I figured out in the end what needs to be done. I have made progress and have other issues now but this topic is no longer an issue.

Thanks,

Mihaita 

0 Kudos