Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eMMC v5.0 as boot device i.MX6 Dual Lite

Jump to solution
letan
Contributor III

Hi,

I've already developed the custom board for our product which is using MTFC8GLCDM(eMMC v4.5) as i.MX6Q SabreSD.

But now I am going to customize the cost so use the MTFC4GACAJCN-1M(eMMC v5.0) which has an additional pin Data Strobe(DS) with i.MX6 Dual Lite. And I am using the BSP L4.1.15.

Could you please clarify some questions as below?

1. Can eMMC v5.0 work on the BSP L4.1.15? How I can wire DataStrobe pin(DS) to i.MX6 Dual Lite and how device tree; Linux kernel and u-boot also support that?
  2. Can eMMC v5.0 work as eMMC v4.5? If so, do we need to wire DataStrobe pin(DS) to i.MX6 Dual Lite and any configuration on hardware and device tree; Linux kernel; u-boot also?

Thanks,

Tan

Labels (4)
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The SD/MMC Host Controller module of the i.MX6 series processors only supports the eMMC 4.41 specification, so, it cannot operate in eMMC 5.0 compliant mode.

An eMMC 5.0 compliant memory device can operate in all backwards compatible modes, including very legacy ones. In all odes except of the HS400 one (added in the eMMC 5.0 specification), the Data Strobe signal of a memory device should just be left floating.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The SD/MMC Host Controller module of the i.MX6 series processors only supports the eMMC 4.41 specification, so, it cannot operate in eMMC 5.0 compliant mode.

An eMMC 5.0 compliant memory device can operate in all backwards compatible modes, including very legacy ones. In all odes except of the HS400 one (added in the eMMC 5.0 specification), the Data Strobe signal of a memory device should just be left floating.

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!