download images to EMMC using uuu is very slow

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download images to EMMC using uuu is very slow

shaoxiao_guo_dn
Contributor I

I want to download uboot, kernel&dtb, and rootfs separately.

So I am using example_kernel_emmc.uuu now, and the content have been changed accordingly.

The host PC is win10 with USB3.0 port. The PC connected to the Type-C interface of the board.

The board is our own board with imx8qxp-mek.

When I start downloading, the uboot, kernel&dtb, and initramfs can be loaded, and then run successfully, I can confirm this through the debug serial.

(The uboot, kernel&dtb are compiled for our own board, the initramfs is from L4.14.98_2.3.0_images_MX8QXPMEK.zip)

And then partition will be done, this step is also OK.

And following is the problem:

(1) When upload kernel Image which is 23MB, through the command below

FBK: ucp Image t:/mnt/fat" will take 5minutes to finish;

it will take almost 5 minutes;

(2) When upload rootfs, which is 500MB more or less, through the command below

FBK: acmd export EXTRACT_UNSAFE_SYMLINKS=1; tar -jx -C /mnt/ext3
    FBK: ucp fsl-image-validation-imx-imx8qxpc0mek.tar.bz2 t:-

it will take 2 hours;

(3) And only succeed for 1% chance, for most of the time, uuu will report a TIMEOUT.

Can anyone help?

Any advice will be appreciate!

0 Kudos
7 Replies

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please try fsl-image-validation-imx-imx8qxpc0mek.tar  instead of  fsl-image-validation-imx-imx8qxpc0mek.tar.gz. 

Do not let i.MX cpu core waste time on decompression.   

For the mass production, please use the uboot to flash the entire mirror.

shaoxiao_guo_dn
Contributor I

Hi, sorry to bother you again.

I didn't try *.tar instead of *.tar.bz2,  I am afraid that both will be very slow.

You suggest me to flash the entire image, I agree.

But I want to know how to add more partitions for image like *.sdcard. Now only 2 partitions are created in the image.

I am not familiar with YOCTO so much. Is it possible to do so with yocto?

I found some info may be useful according to other's post.

In my YOCTO version, the file is imx-yocto-bsp/sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release/imx/meta-bsp/classes/image_types_fsl.bbclass, generate_imx_sdcard() 

Can you please tell me how to add more partitions with yocto?

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

That is what vinothkumars did for his project. His case is good example for adding more partitions by yocto for outputing image. 

IMX8MN-EVK EMMC Partition from UUU tool - NXP Community

You are not familiar with YOCTO, you should go to Yocto org to learn and join yocto community/forum. 

0 Kudos

shaoxiao_guo_dn
Contributor I

Sorry,  but you know this is for wic image. 

Could you please tell me how to do it with *.sdcard image.

Or  this also works for *.sdcard image?

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

wic is the same as sdcard. 

you can go to Yocto Project – It's not an embedded Linux distribution – it creates a custom one for you

and find everything.   

they are all mirror format.

0 Kudos

shaoxiao_guo_dn
Contributor I

I modify the IMAGE_FSTYPES = "wic" and try to create an image.

But failed with error message:

ERROR: fsl-image-validation-imx-1.0-r0 do_image_wic: No kickstart files from WKS_FILES were found: fsl-image-validation-imx.imx8qxpmek.wks fsl-image-validation-imx.wks. Please set WKS_FILE or WKS_FILES appropriately.
ERROR: fsl-image-validation-imx-1.0-r0 do_image_wic: Function failed: do_image_wic (log file is located at /media/09946553-c191-4c56-9074-241f854c0b69/bsp/imx-yocto-bsp/fsl-imx-xwaylandB0/tmp/work/imx8qxpmek-poky-linux/fsl-image-validation-imx/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_image_wic.115412)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /media/09946553-c191-4c56-9074-241f854c0b69/bsp/imx-yocto-bsp/fsl-imx-xwaylandB0/tmp/work/imx8qxpmek-poky-linux/fsl-image-validation-imx/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_image_wic.115412
ERROR: Task (/media/09946553-c191-4c56-9074-241f854c0b69/bsp/imx-yocto-bsp/sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release/imx/meta-sdk/recipes-fsl/images/fsl-image-validation-imx.bb:do_image_wic) failed with exit code '1'

I searched our community, and there are some posts about this problem, but with no answer.

Please help!

0 Kudos

shaoxiao_guo_dn
Contributor I

OK, I get you.

I'll try later.

Thanks!

0 Kudos