core-image-sato fails to build

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

core-image-sato fails to build

npatel
Contributor III

When I try to build core-image-sato, or any x11 based image for a custom IMX6D based board in poky warrior, I get the following error:

repo: using cache for: oe-repo
not found other for:
not found modules for:
not found deltainfo for:
not found updateinfo for:
oe-repo: using metadata from Fri 30 Aug 2019 04:15:27 PM UTC.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:01 ago on Fri 30 Aug 2019 04:15:27 PM UTC.

No module defaults found
--> Starting dependency resolution
--> Finished dependency resolution
Error:
 Problem: package packagegroup-core-x11-base-1.0-r1.noarch requires packagegroup-core-x11-xserver, but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
  - nothing provides xf86-video-imx-vivante needed by packagegroup-core-x11-xserver-1.0-r40.custom
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

I have the meta-freescale layer in my bblayers.conf file, and I can even build xf86-video-imx via "bitbake xf86-video-imx-vivante". Any suggestions on getting passed this issue? I've already tried doing a clean build, but with no luck.

Thanks,

Neil

Labels (2)
7 Replies

npatel
Contributor III

Hello All,

I was able to revisit this issue today (got sidetracked with other tasks) and was able to successfully build with the  xf86-video-imx-vivante package. I was able to build by adding :

DEPENDS += " xf86-video-imx-vivante"

and reverting

XSERVER = "xserver-xorg xf86-video-fbdev"

to 

XSERVER ?= "xserver-xorg xf86-video-fbdev"

in meta/recipes-graphics/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-x11-xserver.bb

I have not tested this on hardware with the appropriate xorg.conf settings yet.

EDIT: This did not add the xf86-video-package to the final image rootfs. Still looking into this....

Thanks,

Neil

0 Kudos

mb1
Contributor III

Hey npatel@curtisswright.com,

I tried building the 'core-image-sato' for our own custom BSP (NXP based), too and ran into the same problem. The machine is based on i.MX8MM, but I think the solution will work for you, too.

In file 'poky/meta/recipes-graphics/packagegroups/packagegroup-core-x11-xserver.bb' under your source directory change line 14 from:

XSERVER ?= "xserver-xorg xf86-video-fbdev"

to

XSERVER = "xserver-xorg xf86-video-fbdev"

After this my build works, and the rootfile system builds. But I am wondering about some things:

1. Where gets XSERVER overwritten?

2. i.MX8MM should get the xf86-video-imx-vivante driver, because with FB there might be no graphics acceleration now.

3. If this image will work..... I will let you konw when I tested it.

Maybe someone from NXP can give further help here.

Kind Regards, Markus

npatel
Contributor III

Hi Markus,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I was able to successfully build with the change you've suggested. Now I'm in the process of configuring X11 and the display manager (Matchbox) to startup using /dev/fb0.

-Neil

0 Kudos

mb1
Contributor III

Hi Neil,

have you been able to configure your xserver successfully? If yes, could you share your solution with me? ;-)

I'm afraid this is not the complete solution to our problem, because with core-image-sato I would like to use graphics acceleration supported by the xf86-video-imx-vivante driver. My rootfs is throwing an error that its missing this module. So I have to configure using framebuffer in xserver, too. But this would be un-accelerated.

radhika.somaiya@volansystech.com‌: I am able to build bitbake xf86-video-imx-vivante solo.

But with the full core-image-sato it acts like it would not find the recipe. The recipe is located under meta-fsl-bsp-release. It doesn't change anything if I copy this recipe to folders from which I'm sure recipes get used and recognized. I think this a problem with the recipe itself. Do you know somoeone who could help? Has this been tested successfully with 4.14.98_ga_2.0.0?

Thanks in advice, Markus

0 Kudos

npatel
Contributor III

Hi Markus,

I was able to configure Xserver, but without any hardware acceleration via the vivante GPU (had to use fbdev). My /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "DVI"
        Driver          "fbdev"
        Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "DVI Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "DVI Screen"
        Monitor "DVI Monitor"
        Device          "DVI"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime"  "0"
    Option "StandbyTime"  "0"
    Option "SuspendTime"  "0"
    Option "OffTime"  "0"
EndSection
I'm essentially in the same position you are. I can "bitbake xf86-video-imx-vivante" by itself, but I can not build it with core-image-sato. I'm also starting to think the same, in that this might be an issue with the core-image-sato/xf86-video-imx-vivante recipe. During the build process, the oe-repo is searched for the xf86-video-imx-vivante rpm, but the bitbake recipe is under meta-freescale/recipe-graphics/xorg-driver. If I make any more progress towards this, I will definitely post my solution here.

mb1
Contributor III

Hi Neil,

thanks a lot for sharing your configuration with me. Now my desktop comes up. The reason I wanted to use core-image-sato is, that I added chromium-ozone-wayland to my image. So now, Chromium of course doesn't come up because it cannot initialize Wayland platform. I'm wondering if there's a way to configure Wayland to use framebuffer, but this would also be a not acceptable solution, as this wouldn't be accelerated too.

I thought about using fsl-image-qt5, but this would be my last solution... Maybe I will try compiling sato with 4.14.78_ga_1.0.0 version, and see if this works. I will also let you know when I figured out further things.

Regards, Markus

0 Kudos

radhikasomaiya
Senior Contributor II

Hi Neil Patel,

One can follow the steps from ch 3, 4 & 5 of attached Yocto Project User's Guide(depends on yocto version - We have attached User's Guide of yocto sumo).

If you are still facing the error then please provide the steps which you are following and yocto version which you are using.

Regards,

Radhika Somaiya.

0 Kudos