cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yocto

sethbollinger
Contributor II

Hello All,

I see that freescale is part of the yocto project.  Have any BSPs been released for yocto yet?

Thanks,

Seth

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
9 Replies

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There is no formal yocto release from Freescale so far. But we are working to get it based on meta-fsl-arm from community.

I suggest to download, build and try the image, using meta-fsl-arm from community in meanwhile. This way you may get confortable with yocto *before* the formal release.

I´m planning a yocto traning showing the step-by-step for yocto building and some modification. It would be using latest stable branch (1.4 - dylan).

haitao, What kind of questions are you interested in?

yanir
Contributor II

Daiane, when will you be releasing this training? I am particularly interested in information explaining how to port from i.mx233 evk BSP to a custom board based on the EVK.

-Yanir

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The latest stable branch was just released. I'm taking some time to it be "tested and validated" before start the training using this.

(in fact, I'm very-very busy with another project and i don't have the amount of time I would like to have to give community the necessary attention, so I prefer to wait one or two weeks)

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Yanir,

Think of Yocto as a tool used to build different packages like bootloader, kernel and several userspace components.

The task of porting bootloader and kernel to a new board is not really the scope of a Yocto training.

After you have your board supported in the bootloader and kernel, then you can start adding support for it in Yocto.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

yanir
Contributor II

Then what is my next step here? Ultimately I need to develop a GUI to run on my board that can access sensor data and output logs. I have confirmed that my hardware works with the freescale provided linux images. I don't particularly need linux, an RTOS would be fine too, but I want to create a good UI and build this quickly. I am a software developer in addition to hardware, but I don't have much experience with linux builds or yocto (as you can tell).

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

All this take some time for learn. It is not hard but a big set of small details and considerations that need to be learned and it takes some time.

As Fabio said, Yocto can help you in the image development and maintenance but not the porting, This needs to be done before.

The choice between a RTOS or Linux depends on several factors that need to be taken into consideration but this need to be done before you start the porting.

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

The BSP at Yocto (the meta-fsl-arm) support most boards (but not all).

We have put fsl-image-gui for iMX6 boards online so people can test it easily. You can download the .sdcard file (for your specific machine) and dd it to the sdcard.

The BSP should have all you need. Please say if you need any help.

Regards,

haitao
Contributor II

hi:

yocto is a new things ,at now there are not many doc to intruduce it ,it is hard to use it ,it's more hard to modify it ,may be some one can give me some tips! thanks!

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

Yocto has a good community around it and currently most commonly used SoCs from i.MX platform is already supported by the meta-fsl-arm layer.

You can find more information how to make a build at https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94023