cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yocto build of imx-4.19.35-1.0.0 for imx8mm hangs in u-boot

hutchman
Contributor II

Hi,

I followed https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/i.MX_Yocto_Project_User%27s_Guide_Linux.pdf  but used the imx-4.19.35-1.0.0 release and when I boot my board all I see is:

U-Boot SPL 2019.04-imx_v2019.04_4.19.35_1.0.0+g85bdcc7981 (Sep 15 2019 - 22:50:28 +0000)

power_bd71837_init

DDRINFO: start DRAM init

Training FAILED

Training FAILED

Training FAILED

Training FAILED

DDRINFO:ddrphy calibration done

DDRINFO: ddrmix config done

Steps I took to build image:

repo init -u https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-thud -m imx-4.19.35-1.0.0.xml

repo sync

MACHINE=imx8mmevk DISTRO=fscl-wayland source setup-environment build

bitbake core-image-minimal

I really don't want any graphics so it looked like fscl-wayland was my best choice.

Sticker on the bottom of my IMX8MM says "REV B" if that matters.

I tried to compare the FAT boot partition of the sdcard image that came with the board with the sdcard image of my new build and the most notable difference is the number and names of the .dtb's. 

I don't see any kernel messages so it looks like it hung in u-boot by not being able to train the DDR4 memory.  I'm new to NXP processors (but not Yocto) so there is probably a step I missed somewhere but not sure what it is ... thus this message!

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
3 Replies

atli_thrastarso
Contributor II

I ran into this issue when I was running the pre-compiled image and an image I built myself. I realised my issue after a while, which was that I was using the wrong target machine, imx8mmevk, and not the one which I actually had imx8mmddr4evk. 

I figured this out whilst running the DDR toolkit on my development board and seeing it fail calibration with the standard EVK configurations (I was not aware I had the DDR4 version).

After seeing this question I thought I would share my experience in hopes others would find it useful.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brian

if this is i.MX8M Mini EVK one can use L4.19.35 Demo Image

Linux Binary Demo Files - i.MX 8MMini EVK

from link Alpha / Beta BSPs for Microprocessors | NXP 

For building use sect.5.6.4 Wayland image on i.MX 8M Quad EVK

attached Yocto Guide from Documentation

List of DISTRO configurations is given on p.7 (there is no "fscl-wayland").

If this is custom board first run ddr test i.MX8 MSCALE SERIES DDR Tool Release (V2.10) 

and rebuild image using Chapter 4 How to bring up a new MX8MSCALE board

MSCALE_DDR_Tool_User_Guide.pdf included in package.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

hutchman
Contributor II

I just realized that the history in my virtual machine wasn’t complete and I copied some commands that were apparently from a previous build so sorry for the confusion … but as you can see I did complete the build and using the fsl distro with wayland and booted the board.

My guess as to the problem was I needed to run the tool to train the DDR4 and then somehow plug that info back into the build system and generate the image again but don’t know how to do that.

I’ll check out the info you provided. Thanks!

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos