cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yocto Zeus - Kernel hangs and uBoot issues

Jump to solution
concerned12345
Contributor III

Using a SMARC iMX8MM from Embedian with the Yocto Zeus build with core-image-minimal with real-time patches applied - kernel 5.4.24-rt15.

The build instructions say to name the DTB file "/dtbs/imx8mm-smarc.dtb" but when uBoot loads I get the error:

Booting from mmc...

** Unable to read file /dtbs/fsl-smarcimx8mm.dtb **

WARN: Cannot load the DT

I then changed the name of the device tree to "fsl-smarcimx8mm.dtb" and rebooted. Now the kernel hangs at the same spot with error:

[    0.921129] 002: imx-sdma 302c0000.dma-controller: Direct firmware load for imx/sdma/sdma-imx7d.bin failed with error -2
[    0.929300] 002: imx-sdma 302c0000.dma-controller: Falling back to sysfs fallback for: imx/sdma/sdma-imx7d.bin
[    0.933932] 001: mxs-dma 33000000.dma-controller: initialized

I've attached some files with more information. What should I do or what should I check?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
concerned12345
Contributor III

To get the boot file to appear under ".../deploy/images/<machine name>/" I had to type "bitbake imx-boot" and not "bitbake virtual/bootloader". I also needed to run "bitbake -c cleanall virtual/bootloader" and "bitbake -c cleanall imx-boot" before "bitbake imx-boot" would produce the correct "imx-boot-<machine name>-sd.bin-flash_evk" file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello concerned12345,

That mark as invalid dtb, please download again form SMART Embedian web page:

http://developer.embedian.com/display/yoctoonsmarc/SMARC-iMX8M-BSP-Zeus

Regards

0 Kudos
concerned12345
Contributor III

I was asked by e-mail if this response answered my question, it did not. I would like more clarification, please see my other responses.

0 Kudos
concerned12345
Contributor III

After contacting Embedian I need to update my boot loader. I did 'bitbake -c compile virtual/bootloader' to build uBoot. There is no boot loader in the path '~/smarc-imx8mm-zeus-release/core-image-minimal/tmp/deploy/images/<machine-name>/'.

I did find the boot loader in '~/smarc-imx8mm-zeus-release/core-image-minimal/tmp/work/smarcimx8mm2g-poky-linux/u-boot-smarcimx8mm/1_2020.04-r0/build/smarcimx8mm_2g_ser3_defconfig/'.

There are several files listed: 'u-boot', 'u-boot.bin', 'u-boot-sd.bin' and others. I wrote each of these files to the SD card with 'sudo dd if=<file name> of=/dev/sdb bs=1024 seek=33'. I made sure the jumper on the board had TEST# grounded so the device would boot from the SD card. I did not get any output from serial connection / terminal.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
concerned12345
Contributor III

@Bio_TICFSL 

Having trouble updating my bootloader on my Embedian SMARC device which is needed to fix my original problem. I ran 'bitbake virtual/bootloader' and under the ".../deply/images/<name>" directory I have files called "u-boot.bin", "u-boot-spl.bin" and other files and links. I do not have a file named "imx-boot-<machine name>-sd.bin-flash_evk" as stated by Embedian's website. I don't know what u-boot file to use and I cannot get anything to boot when trying to update. Here are the steps I have taken:

1. bitbake virtual/bootloader
  2. sudo dd if=u-boot.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=1024 seek=33
    1. This is run from the ".../deploy/images/<name>" directory.
    2. SD card is verified as "sdb" using "lsblk".
    3. I've tried other files for "if" as well.
  3. Shorted the TEST# pins on the carrier board, pins 9 and 10 of the MISC jumper.
  4. Inserted the SD card and powered on
  5. No data or information is sent through the serial connection, SER3.
    1. This connection has been verified working.

I don't know what I'm missing for updating u-boot, please advise.

0 Kudos
concerned12345
Contributor III

To get the boot file to appear under ".../deploy/images/<machine name>/" I had to type "bitbake imx-boot" and not "bitbake virtual/bootloader". I also needed to run "bitbake -c cleanall virtual/bootloader" and "bitbake -c cleanall imx-boot" before "bitbake imx-boot" would produce the correct "imx-boot-<machine name>-sd.bin-flash_evk" file.

0 Kudos