Yocto IMX8M GA release, dropped support for the Linux FrameBuffer graphics backend?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yocto IMX8M GA release, dropped support for the Linux FrameBuffer graphics backend?

sergei_p
Contributor III

Hello,

As we learned from the IMX8M Yocto GA Release Notes, the Linux Framebuffer graphics backend is no longer supported. Actually, it's even impossible to build a customized build with the FB backend, based on the Yocto GA release, by the reason that the proprietary prebuilt Vivante GPU libraries are pre-linked with the Wayland libraries.

We tried to work around the problem by falling back to the versions of the imx-gpu-viv and kernel-module-galcore packages from the Beta release, however this didn't work for us somehow - our Qt GUI application starts and seems to be working normally but nothing is displayed on LCD.

Finally we switched to Wayland, and Qt GUI app works here, however the GUI start time from the reset is now almost twice as much as it was for the Beta FB build.

Could please someone from NXP comment on the reasons why the Linux Framebuffer backend was dropped for the IMX8M Yocto BSP GA release?

Thanks!

Regards,

Sergei

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

greeranjunk
Contributor III

hi Sergei

Could you explain what you mean by porting to wayland. does Wayland handle overlay without hogging the CPU

thanks

Ran

0 Kudos

sergei_p
Contributor III

Hi Ran,

Correct, Wayland and Qt on 8M has NXP plugins supporting hardware accelaration. See our demo here GitHub - EmcraftSystems/qt5-emcraft-demo: A simple QML-based demo used in the Emcraft BSPs , and in the video on our site.

Regards,

Sergei

0 Kudos

greeranjunk
Contributor III

hello Sergei

i am having the same problem, i would like to overlay our GUI on the stream. until now we used framebuffers to overlay but now with the imx8 we are not able. did you find a way to create a framebuffer or something similar

thanks

Ran

0 Kudos

sergei_p
Contributor III

Hi Ran,

No, we gave up and ported our Qt demo to Wayland.

Cheers,

Sergei

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sergei,

I have confirmed it for you that:

• No X11 backend is supported in i.MX 8MQuad.
• No Frame Buffer backend is supported in i.MX 8MQuad

i.MX8M new features.PNG

The current bsp only supports wayland. Details you can see it in i.MX_Linux_Release_Notes.
Have a great day,
Rita

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos