Xen hypervisor support for i.MX8MMini ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xen hypervisor support for i.MX8MMini ?

rpage
Contributor III

Hi. I have some questions on Xen hypervisor support for the i.MX8MMini. I know this is already supported for other CPUs in the IMX8 family such as the  i.MX8QuadMax, but the hypervisor support for 8MMini appears to be jailhouse only at present. I have been trying to get the Xen hypervisor from v4.12.0 source to run on 8MMini. I think it is lacking a serial port driver for this board and, so far, the Xen startup code crashes at the line where when Xen tries to enable the MMU.

There are  some comments on another thread suggesting the that the MMUs might be different ? Is this the case and does that mean there is a technical limitation such that Xen would not be compatible with our board? Are there any plans to provide a Xen build that supports the IMX8MMini in the future? If not, do you have any information that may be of help in getting this running?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Robin,

Jailhouse is a static partitioning hypervisor based on Linux OS, XEN project is a hypervisor using a microkernel design, providing services that allow multiple operating systems to run on the same hardware with hardware virtualization capability. The latest bsp 4.14.78 has support for xen4.9.

Regards

0 Kudos

rpage
Contributor III

Thanks for your reply. I have now switched to the latest BSP. I find some build recipes for "imx8mmevk" However, it looks from the README that the i.MX8MM still has no xen support (only jailhouse). Our development is for an embedded product which will need to share some of the peripherals between domains. This is why we are interested in xen and not jailhouse. Also, the 8MMini is not listed in the tested section for the release.

from imx-yocto-bsp/sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release/imx/README:

"i.MX Linux Yocto Project BSP 4.14.78_1.0.0 Release
=====================================================

The following boards were tested in this release.

* NXP i.MX 6QuadPlus SABRE Device (imx6qpsabresd)"
"   * NXP i.MX 7ULP EVK (imx7ulpevk)
   * NXP i.MX 8MQuad EVK (imx8mqevk)
   * NXP i.MX 8QuadMax LPDDR4 ARM2 (imx8qmlpddr4arm2)
   * NXP i.MX 8QuadXPlus LPDDR4 ARM2 (imx8qxplpddr4arm2)
   * NXP i.MX 8QuadXPlus MEK (imx8qxpmek)"
"Building XEN
------------
XEN is supported on IMX8QM/QXP. To enable xen build add the following line to local.conf:"

I shall run a Yocto build today, just to see where that gets us.

Regards, Robin

0 Kudos

rpage
Contributor III

I have been sidetracked on other work for a while. Looking into this again and the 4.14.78 BSP pulls from git://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-xen branch imx_4.14.78_1.0.0_ga. Looking at the source, there is no code that supports the IMX8MMini with Xen. IMX8QM and IMX8QXP are supported, but have different register maps. Is this on the roadmap for future support?

Regards, Robin

0 Kudos

Peng_Fan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

what's your usecase using xen on i.MX8MM? There is no smmu in i.MX8MM.

Kernel & Virtualization Engineer

rpage
Contributor III

Thank you for your explanation regarding SMMU.

Regards,
Robin

0 Kudos