X11 support for iMX8 and iMX8M

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X11 support for iMX8 and iMX8M

ovtymo
Contributor I

As far as I understand current BSP for iMX8M does not have hardware accelerated X11 support. I tried to use Xwayland but apps that use GLX does not work with it and I couldn't find any way to fix this.

Are there any plans to add drivers for X11 on iMX8M and if yes what is the ETA? Will iMX8 BSP have X11 support? What is the NXP's long-term strategy for Wayland/X11, is Wayland going to be prioritized over X11 in next few years?

Thank you

4 Replies

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

You can see that in our newest BSP

• No X11 backend is supported in i.MX 8MQuad.
• No Frame Buffer backend is supported in i.MX 8MQuad

Here you can expect our next i.MX8 series products. Newest information you can see in our websitei.MX 8 Series Applications Processors | Arm® Cortex®-A72, Cortex-A53, Cortex-A35, Cortex-M4 cores |N... .
Have a great day,
Rita

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

holmekj2
Contributor I

Is it in the roadmap to support X11 in the I.MX8 BSP at some point in the future?

DiegoFSL
Contributor III

Kevin Holmes wrote:

Is it in the roadmap to support X11 in the I.MX8 BSP at some point in the future?

Although an official and clear reply from NXP would be appreciated, I think the answer is: no, they will not support X11 directly, only through XWayland, at the least in the short term.

Quoting from page 4 of the "i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide" document of the Linux BSP documentation package "imx-yocto-L4.14.98_2.0.0_ga.zip":

Graphics recipes integrate the i.MX graphics package release. For the i.MX boards that have a GPU, the imx-
gpu-viv recipes package the graphic components for each DISTRO – X11, frame buffer (FB), XWayland,
Wayland backend, and Weston compositor (Weston). Only i.MX 6 and i.MX 7 support X11 and Frame Buffer.

claymontgomery
Contributor IV

Does anyone know (or can even speculate on) why NXP does not support X11 or fb for the i.MX8 series?

I can see it could be because of limited software development resources, or it could be because of Digital Rights Management legal requirements to obtain licenses for new video codecs perhaps?

Either way, I expect the open source community will eventually remedy this situation.

Regards, Clay

0 Kudos