cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 IoT Enterprise iMX8MP OS Build Failures

Jump to solution
omar_wolfe-huss
Contributor III

I am following section 10 of https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/quick-reference-guide/IMXWQSG.pdf with an iMX8MP EVK. When injecting the drivers to the Windows image all drivers install except for the galcore driver. See logs below. Please advise on how to get the galcore driver to install. For now I am attempting to continue the build without the galcore driver (by deleting the galcore directory from the IoTEntOnNXP/drivers directory) and re-running make-winpe-enterprise.cmd

PS C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP> .\make-winpe-enterprise.cmd /disable_updates /disable_transparency /test_signing

Selected: "install.wim"

OPTIONS SUMMARY:
Source image:                          install.wim
Test signing:                          yes
Windows debug over ethernet:           no, IP:
Windows PE debug over ethernet:        no, IP:
KD_NET file (for debug over net):      no
Windows debug over serial:             no
Windows PE debug over serial:          no
Unattended install answer file:        no
Disable updates:                       yes
Disable transparency:                  yes
Split wim:                             no
Cumulative update:                     no, path:
Skip updates from kbpatch\:            no

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*** Step 1 Creating i.MX Windows IoT Enterprise image: out\imx_win_iot_install.wim
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** Step 1.1 Copying Windows Enterprise image install.wim to out\imx_win_iot_install.wim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
copy "install.wim" "out\imx_win_iot_install.wim"
        1 file(s) copied.

*** Step 1.2 Mounting i.MX Windows IoT Enterprise image at out\mount_enterprise
dism /mount-wim /wimfile:"out\imx_win_iot_install.wim" /mountdir:"out\mount_enterprise" /index:2

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22621.1

Mounting image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.

*** Step 1.3 Injecting drivers from C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers into the i.MX Windows IoT Enterprise image
dism /Image:"out\mount_enterprise" /Add-Driver /Driver:"C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers" /Recurse /ForceUnsigned

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22621.1

Image Version: 10.0.19044.1288

Searching for driver packages to install...
Found 36 driver package(s) to install.
Installing 1 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\ALS\imxals.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 2 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\Audio\imxaud.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 3 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\Audio\imxaudsc.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 4 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\CAN_MC\imxcan_mc.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 5 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\CAN_NMC\imxcan_nmc.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 6 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\ECOMPASS\imxecompass.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 7 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\Galcore\galcore.inf: Error - An error occurred. The driver package could not be installed.
For more information, check for log files in the <windir>\inf folder of the target image.
Installing 8 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\GPIO\imxgpio.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 9 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\GPIO_8X\imxgpio_8x.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 10 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\Gyro\imxgyro_fxas21002.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 11 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\HalExtDma\HalExtiMXDma.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 12 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\I2C\imxi2c.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 13 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\IMU\imximu.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 14 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\ImxCamera\imxcamera_package.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 15 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\LPI2C\imxlpi2c.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 16 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\LPUART\imxlpuart.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 17 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\Net\imxnetmini.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 18 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\Net\imxqosmini.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 19 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\OPTEE\OpteeTrEE.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 20 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\PEP\imxpep.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 21 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\PWM\imxpwm.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 22 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\PWM_TPM\imxpwm_tpm.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 23 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\RGPIO\imxrgpio.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 24 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\SCFW\imxscfw.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 25 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\SPI\imxecspi.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 26 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\SPI\imxlpspi.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 27 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\ThermalClient\imxthermalclient.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 28 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\ThermalSensor\imxtmu.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 29 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\UART\imxuart.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 30 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\USB\imxUcmTcpciCxClient.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 31 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\USDHC\imxusdhc.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 32 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\VPU\imxvpukm.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 33 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\VPUMalone\malonekm.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 34 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\Wifi_mrvlpcie8897\mrvlpcie8897.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 35 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\Wm8960codec\wm8960codec.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
Installing 36 of 36 - C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8\IoTEntOnNXP\drivers\Wm8962codec\wm8962codec.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.

Error: 2

The command completed with errors. For more information, refer to the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

0 Kudos
1 Solution
michal_hromadka
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @omar_wolfe-huss
The microsoft patch contains fix for USB peripheral working with 64 bit mapping. Previous versions of BSP had reduced size of RAM to 4GB (from 6GB) due to this issue. For BSP 1.4.0 we apply patches to use 6GB of RAM. If you are not able to apply microsoft patch, USB will not work. Try to use attached FW reducing size of RAM back to the 4GB - this could help to run Windows for now.

Please provide whole name of .iso file provided by Microsoft, I could check compatibility with provided patch.

Regards,

Michal

View solution in original post

11 Replies
michal_hromadka
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @omar_wolfe-huss ,

I have to correct @JorgeCas , Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is supported by NXP.

What version and type of BSP .zip file did you use? 1.4.0 prebuild binaries?

Could you provide log file from folder as is describe in picture below ? 

michal_hromadka_0-1683106405111.png

Regards,

Michal

0 Kudos
omar_wolfe-huss
Contributor III

Hi @michal_hromadka

It appears to be a mistake on my side, I was using the x64 build of Windows. Now I am using the ARM64 ISO Galcore worked. I am currently waiting (quite a long time) for the windows10.0-kb5019275-arm64 patch to apply. Hopefully that applies and then I can try booting the SoC.

Thanks

Omar

0 Kudos
michal_hromadka
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @omar_wolfe-huss ,

Thank you for the update.

BTW:
Patch applying takes a really long time. I hope it goes well. If not, let us know.

Regards,

Michal

0 Kudos
omar_wolfe-huss
Contributor III

Hi @michal_hromadka,

I have built the Windows OS and loaded it onto the NXP 8MPLUS EVK. Windows has booted and I am faced with a choose your region Windows screen, however the USB devices (mouse and keyboard) aren't working so I can't interact with the OS. I have the mouse connected to the USB A 3.0 Port J7 on the EVK. I have confirmed that the mouse works with a different Windows PC. U-boot logs show that the USB device is detected. I have also tried connecting the USB C Host Port J5 and it didn't make any difference. Additionally I tried booting a second EVK, which presents the same issue.

I used the 1.4.0 pre-built binaries and make-winpe-enterprise.cmd

As a side note I had to remove the Windows 10 patch from the build as it was failing with the following error. 

Error: 0x80004005

Package C:\Users\omar.wolfe-hussein\Documents\Apollo\NXP-WIN-IMX8-TRY4\IoTEntOnNXP\kbpatch\windows10.0-kb5019275-arm64_c6c2abc31137d43e762304bd1542ba413d2b8b9e.msu may have failed due to pending updates to servicing components in the image. Try the command again.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

U-Boot SPL 2022.04-00354-ge9d8db73d2 (Mar 20 2023 - 08:02:29 +0000)
DDRINFO: start DRAM init
DDRINFO: DRAM rate 4000MTS
DDRINFO:ddrphy calibration done
DDRINFO: ddrmix config done
SEC0:  RNG instantiated
Normal Boot
Trying to boot from BOOTROM
Boot Stage: Primary boot
image offset 0x8000, pagesize 0x200, ivt offset 0x0
NOTICE:  BL31: v2.6(release):v2.6-431-ga5e355524
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 08:02:47, Mar 20 2023

U-Boot 2022.04-00354-ge9d8db73d2 (Mar 20 2023 - 08:02:29 +0000)

CPU:   i.MX8MP[8] rev1.1 1800 MHz (running at 1200 MHz)
CPU:   Commercial temperature grade (0C to 95C) at 30C
Reset cause: POR
Model: NXP i.MX8MPlus LPDDR4 EVK board
DRAM:  6 GiB
TCPC:  Vendor ID [0x1fc9], Product ID [0x5110], Addr [I2C2 0x50]
SNK.Default on CC2
tcpc_pd_receive_message: Polling ALERT register, TCPC_ALERT_RX_STATUS bit failed, ret = -62
Power supply on USB2
TCPC:  Vendor ID [0x1fc9], Product ID [0x5110], Addr [I2C1 0x50]
Core:  197 devices, 30 uclasses, devicetree: separate
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 1, FSL_SDHC: 2
Loading Environment from MMC... *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

[*]-Video Link 0adv7535_mipi2hdmi adv7535@3d: Can't find cec device id=0x3c
fail to probe panel device adv7535@3d
fail to get display timings
probe video device failed, ret -19

[0] lcd-controller@32e80000, video
        [1] mipi_dsi@32e60000, video_bridge
        [2] adv7535@3d, panel
adv7535_mipi2hdmi adv7535@3d: Can't find cec device id=0x3c
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
SEC0:  RNG instantiated

BuildInfo:
  - ATF a5e3555

switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc1 is current device
flash target is MMC:1
Net:   eth0: ethernet@30be0000, eth1: ethernet@30bf0000 [PRIME]
Fastboot: Normal
Normal Boot
starting USB...
Bus usb@38100000: Register 2000140 NbrPorts 2
Starting the controller
USB XHCI 1.10
Bus usb@38200000: Register 2000140 NbrPorts 2
Starting the controller
USB XHCI 1.10
scanning bus usb@38100000 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus usb@38200000 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
## Loading kernel from FIT Image at 40480000 ...
   Using 'conf-1' configuration
   Verifying Hash Integrity ... OK
   Trying 'uefi' kernel subimage
     Description:  UEFI
     Created:      2023-03-20   8:05:01 UTC
     Type:         Kernel Image
     Compression:  gzip compressed
     Data Start:   0x404800a4
     Data Size:    539667 Bytes = 527 KiB
     Architecture: AArch64
     Load Address: 0x50004000
     Entry Point:  0x50004000
     Hash algo:    sha256
     Hash value:   8395e09493cdb31ca76caeeb0a18c606c13d5cc55b43b36e039ba08d345c2dbd
   Verifying Hash Integrity ... sha256+ OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image
adv7535_mipi2hdmi adv7535@3d: Can't find cec device id=0x3c

Starting kernel ...

UEFI Debug Serial Port Init
UEFI firmware (version 2020-06-07 built at 08:04:46 on Mar 20 2023)

0 Kudos
michal_hromadka
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @omar_wolfe-huss
The microsoft patch contains fix for USB peripheral working with 64 bit mapping. Previous versions of BSP had reduced size of RAM to 4GB (from 6GB) due to this issue. For BSP 1.4.0 we apply patches to use 6GB of RAM. If you are not able to apply microsoft patch, USB will not work. Try to use attached FW reducing size of RAM back to the 4GB - this could help to run Windows for now.

Please provide whole name of .iso file provided by Microsoft, I could check compatibility with provided patch.

Regards,

Michal

omar_wolfe-huss
Contributor III

Hi @michal_hromadka, could you please tell me which ISO specifically you have used to build and test the patch? I would like to try and re-create the build with known working components as the 2.5GB RAM is becoming a bottle neck. Thanks

0 Kudos
michal_hromadka
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @omar_wolfe-huss ,

I really don't know which versions are compatible with patch but I've contacted Microsoft. I will let you know if I get any information. 

Regards,

Michal

0 Kudos
omar_wolfe-huss
Contributor III

Hi @michal_hromadka,

I tried a different version of Windows 10 IoT, ISO name: "en_windows_10_iot_enterprise_version_21h1_arm64_dvd_683f356f" 

Which is the 21H1 release of Windows 10 IoT. This worked well and now I have 6GB of RAM available.

Thanks

0 Kudos
michal_hromadka
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hoi @omar_wolfe-huss ,

good to know.

Thanks for the information.

Regards,

Michal

0 Kudos
omar_wolfe-huss
Contributor III

Thank you for the firmware, that has made the system work. I am using the ISO 
en-us_windows_10_iot_enterprise_ltsc_2021_arm64_dvd_e8d4fc46.

Interestingly when I was accidentally using the x64 ISO the patch applied without issues.

0 Kudos
JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Maybe you should refer to your log file to check what is causing the error as it says on your post.

"The command completed with errors. For more information, refer to the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

Best regards.

0 Kudos