Why is i.MX53 BulkIO device changing to USB Mass Storage device when I run MFG tool?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is i.MX53 BulkIO device changing to USB Mass Storage device when I run MFG tool?

Jump to solution
brian_peters
Contributor II

Running  MFG tool  rev 1.6.032  on a windows 10 upgrade of a windows 7 PC with no usb3 ports, every thing is configured correctly best I can tell.  The target board shows up as a  'Freescale i.MX53 USB BulkIO device'  in the USB tree in device manager, when connected and powered up. When run the  MFG tool recognizes the board and when I click on start  it begins to program  the selected profile.  A few steps into the Programming MFG tool appears to freeze and the  'Freescale i.MX53 USB BulkIO device' disappears from  the Device manager tree and is replace by an entry for a 'USB Mass Storage Device'.  I have confirmed that this is what is happening by turning the target device off at which point the  'USB Mass Storage Device' is removed from the Device manager tree.  When I turn the target back on it appears as a  'Freescale i.MX53 USB BulkIO device'.   The MFGTool eventually times out and generates an error.

atached are screen caps for :

error in MFGTool  (032 ver error)

Device manager USB tree before (DM usb1) and after the problem occurs  (DM usb2)

Also attached is a copy of the MFG tool log file when this occurs. (mfgtool032.log)

This problem also occurs with  a Beta version of the MFGTool   rev 1.6.2.055  provided to me by Igor Padykov 

In response to a previous solved problem with USB3 ports  https://community.nxp.com/thread/504754.

This version is working correctly on  both a Windows 10 and Windows 7 machine with USB3.0 ports.

Screen cap (MFG fault)

Log file  (mfgtool 1.log)

Can anybody help with this new problem?

Regards,

Brian

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
brian_peters
Contributor II

Igor,

I don't believe the issue is the target hardware.  I tried 2 different target boards both of which work on the windows 10 machine with USB3.0 ports  and the 1.6.2.055 beta you sent me  but don't work on the computer I have having a problem with  for either version.

I am pretty sure it is some issue with the particular computer  and its USB interface but am not sure what to do to diagnose it any further?  

I will look at the documentation  in the download for details about the USB interface.

I did not see them in the file you sent me.

Thanks

Brian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brian

regarding 'USB Mass Storage Device' one can look at attached

Mfg Tool documentation (it is included in mfg tool package) p.3.

In general one can check if usb is working correctly on board, in

particular usb_id pin should not be low for operation with mfg tool.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
brian_peters
Contributor II

Igor,

I don't believe the issue is the target hardware.  I tried 2 different target boards both of which work on the windows 10 machine with USB3.0 ports  and the 1.6.2.055 beta you sent me  but don't work on the computer I have having a problem with  for either version.

I am pretty sure it is some issue with the particular computer  and its USB interface but am not sure what to do to diagnose it any further?  

I will look at the documentation  in the download for details about the USB interface.

I did not see them in the file you sent me.

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
brian_peters
Contributor II

UPDATE:

After running Windows update and all MFG hardware driver updates MFGTool is now working.

Thanks  to Igor for helping.

It turns out that the USB device type changing as described above is normal operation and I was not aware of that at the time.  Updates apparently fixed the unrelated but coincident problem.

0 Kudos