Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is MFG tool crashing (i.MX53)?

Jump to solution
brian_peters
Contributor II

I.MX53  Manufacturing tool  Problem      New  install  on Windows 10 Pro PC

I downloaded the  Mfgtool file recommended for i.MX53 processors from the NXP website

I received  Mfgtools-Rel-1.6.2.032.ZIP

I down loaded and followed the associated text directions to  install the contents of the ZIP file. 

Upon running the MFG Tool program  It  crashed repeatedly with no error message  at the point where you select   Options  - Configuration - and click USB Ports.

I did some searching and found that  the board  was showing up in Device manager  as Other Device  'SE Blank RITA'

I concluded that that the issue was the device driver not being properly loaded.

After much research and attempts to install the driver.  I finally succeeded  after learning how to  force windows to ignore driver signing so it would install the driver.  Board shows up now as an USB device   of type "Freescale i.MX53 USB BulkIO Device"  in Device manager as I suspect It should.

The problem  I AM STILL HAVING   is that the program crashes rather than display the available usb ports  as expected at Step 4 of the Manufacturing Tool quick start drive

pastedImage_1.png

It does nothing just sits there when I click the Scan button,  and crashes hard  when I select  the USB ports tab.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Regards,

Brian Peters

PS  this problem occurs in the same way on a windows 7 pro install

Labels (2)
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

File mfgtools-rel.7z (~ 22MB) is archive file: it is needed to extract all files from it, using 7-Zip utility. 

Regards,

Yuri.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
brian_peters
Contributor II

Hi Igor,Tthanks for the feedback.

I tried running in Win7  and Win XP compatibility modes  as Administrator as recommended in the link you sent me.I got the same result a hard crash when I select USB tab on configuration page.  

I have the same 1.6.32 version installed on a Win 7 machine  and have the same problem with it as well.  in both cases the USB driver appears to be installed correctly.

I have the same version 1.6.32 installed  on Windows XP machine which works.

Corporate IT security is forcing me to give up my XP machine so I really need to get this working on a more modern OS.

what to do?

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brian

one can try mfg tool zip from link

Mfgtool can't connect in windows7 

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
brian_peters
Contributor II

Yuri,

ON a whim I tried renaming the larger mfgtools-rel.7z  file  to mfgtool.exe.   Computer did not know how to run it.

I also contacted DELL the vendor of the new WIN10 PC and they do not have a mechanism for disabling USB 3 on the PC.

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

File mfgtools-rel.7z (~ 22MB) is archive file: it is needed to extract all files from it, using 7-Zip utility. 

Regards,

Yuri.

susina
Contributor II

Dear Yuri,

could you please share solution also with me. 

Thanks in advance,

Radek

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

use the following Community thread

https://community.nxp.com/thread/318706 

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos
brian_peters
Contributor II

Thanks Yuri,

I down loaded the pastedImage_1.png  file and unzipped it to a new folder on my windows 10 machine using the 64 bit 7zip  utility found here

pastedImage_2.png

The resulting files included 2 copies of mfgTOOL.  I tried the first one (earlier date)  and it worked just fine.

SO  to fix the issue:

Force WIN10 to accept an unsigned driver  to get the USB driver for the   Freescale i.MX53 USB BulkIO Device  to install.  see

https://www.supportrix.com/kb/how-to-install-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-10/

Then run the older copy of the beta version of the the mfgTOOL after unzipping and installing it.

MY thanks to Yuri for sticking with me till this got resolved successfully!

Regards

Brian

brian_peters
Contributor II

Igor,

the content of that zip file is a single file.

mfgtools-rel.7z

do I rename it   mfgtool.exe

and replace the mfgtool.exe   that came with Mfgtools-Rel-1.6.0322  ?

just checking

Thanks for your continued support

Brian

0 Kudos
brian_peters
Contributor II

Igor,

I assume you mean the second zip slightly later in time?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brian

MFGTool does not support USB3.0 well in multiple platforms

MFG tool stops working after Windows 10 Creators update 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos