cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start?

ShaharOr
Contributor I

Dear developers,

I have taken on the task of porting CyanogenMod for a device which is based on i.MX515 and is called the Dreambook W7.

Where do I start? How do I flash a custom image for this thing? Which docs should I read?

Is there a prebuilt kernel? A whole android build? I'd love to know all these things and I bet they are documented somewhere.

Thanks,

Shahar

BTW, I'm documenting my work in a publicly editable Google Docs document as an experiment.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Well. I don´t know your board. 

I think you should care about some questions:

* How do you turn your board on?

* How can you access some "prompt"?

If you don´t have any serial port, maybe you have some USB.

Is there any user manual for your board?

Look, uboot has fastboot support depending on version (or binary, you can disable it on ./configure)

0 Kudos

ShaharOr
Contributor I

I guess that the first step that I should take is to ensure that whatever I'd do to the software on the device - I will always have a way back. This is not a problem with development boards, since they have dip switches which enable boot from sdcard, for example. This device - I'm not sure it does because it is a production model and I would prefer not to open the case if it is not necessary.

So my question is: Does this device, which is most probably booting with u-boot, have some sort of "boot to bootloader" feature that I can use to boot from sdcard or better yet: I've read that u-boot is compatible with the fastboot protocol. This would allow me to flash new images (as long as I keep the same partition layout?) easily.

Is there a way to reach that u-boot state which allows using fastboot?

In other android devices I could just do 'adb reboot bootloader'.

0 Kudos

ShaharOr
Contributor I

Thanks, Daiane!

I will read on in the wiki.

I will keep in touch with the CyanogenMod community. After all, my contribution will hopefully end up in CyanogenMod source code.

It does have an sdcard slot. There is no serial port on the outside of the product. I opened it up and I don't see a serial port connector on the board but I only looked at one side.

In the getting started page the i.MX515 isn't listed. Am I right?

Thanks again,

Shahar

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I don´t know Dreambook W7 "personaly", but I believe you can handle this like any other imx51 like board.

I think a good start point may be: http://www.imxdev.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

There is a "getting started" page. And please, feel free to fix and add anything.

You can also contact CyanogenMod and Dreambook community.

Does your board have sdcard connector? Does your board have serial port?

0 Kudos