What is the PCIe i.MX6 max payload size ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the PCIe i.MX6 max payload size ?

Jump to solution
NicolasP
Contributor IV

Hi,

In the reference manual, it is said at chapter 48.4.4.1.1.2 : "Program your PCI Express system with a larger value of Max_Payload_Size without exceeding CX_MAX_MTU (128)."

I can't find any definition for CX_MAX_MTU but the number in parenthesis sugests that it's value is 128. Right ?

Does this means that the max payload size of PCIe packets is 128 bytes ? If true, this means that one can't trim the max payload size which min value is 128 bytes.

Nicolas

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

From Mark Middleton :

There are several parameters which sound like they can be set by the user through registers,

but are actually parameters that the core design engineer sets when designing the core into silicon.

Unfortunately, that means that these parameters cannot be changed.

Three parameters in particular are:

CX_MAX_MTU = 128

CC_SLV_MTU = 128

CC_MSTR_BURST_LEN = 16

If these values are exceeded in the application software, then the core starts to decompose messages,

which will affect throughput. The reason the core will not work with larger values is because the buffers and

memory space needed to support the larger values are not built into the core.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

From Mark Middleton :

There are several parameters which sound like they can be set by the user through registers,

but are actually parameters that the core design engineer sets when designing the core into silicon.

Unfortunately, that means that these parameters cannot be changed.

Three parameters in particular are:

CX_MAX_MTU = 128

CC_SLV_MTU = 128

CC_MSTR_BURST_LEN = 16

If these values are exceeded in the application software, then the core starts to decompose messages,

which will affect throughput. The reason the core will not work with larger values is because the buffers and

memory space needed to support the larger values are not built into the core.

0 Kudos
NicolasP
Contributor IV

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for your answer.

That's what I thought. One can not change max payload size. It is fixed to 128 bytes.

Regards,

Nicolas

0 Kudos