Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What i.MX does Windows 11 IoT support?

Jump to solution
george
Senior Contributor II

Hi all,

A customer is currently developing a product using Windows 10 IoT with i.MX 8M-PLUS.

The customer wants to upgrade to Windows 11 IoT, but according to MS website, Windows 11 IoT does not support i.MX 8M-PLUS.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/iot-enterprise/arm64/armfaq

Will i.MX 8M-PLUS be added to the list of devices supported by Windows 11 IoT in the future?
*We would like to know if there is a possibility that Windows 11 IoT will support i.MX 8M-PLUS in the future.

Thanks,
George

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

unfortunately, it has been decided from both sides (NXP and MS) that only Win 10 will be supported on i.MX8 and Win 11 on i.MX9.

The Windows 11 will work on i.MX8 with most features, but there will not be official support.

From our information there are also some reasons connected to the instruction set of i.MX8 not supporting all advanced Windows features.we could find out the details if the customer is interested.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

unfortunately, it has been decided from both sides (NXP and MS) that only Win 10 will be supported on i.MX8 and Win 11 on i.MX9.

The Windows 11 will work on i.MX8 with most features, but there will not be official support.

From our information there are also some reasons connected to the instruction set of i.MX8 not supporting all advanced Windows features.we could find out the details if the customer is interested.

0 Kudos
george
Senior Contributor II

Hello @Rita_Wang,

For now, your comment is enough for us.

In other words, the i.MX8M-PLUS cannot support Windows 11 IoT due to the instruction set?

Thanks,
George

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You are welcome~~

0 Kudos