cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WL1837 and Android Pie (9.0) for i.MX6

brood
Contributor III

Hello,

We have a custom-designed tablet that is using the TI WL1837MOD WiFi/BlueTooth transceiver module.  The tablet currently runs Android Nougat (7.1.1) and we are currently working on an upgrade to Android Pie (9.0) using the NXP Android Pie BSP for the i.MX6Q applications processor.

Since Android Oreo (8.0), the Android platform has switched to using HIDL (https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/hidl-cpp) to interface the vendor HAL definitions into the Android framework.  During our work to bring up Android Pie (9.0) on our platform, we have discovered that there is no such vendor HIDL/HAL definition for the TI WL1837MOD, and therefore we are having difficulties in integrating the module with Android Pie (9.0).  I have noticed that there are other wireless chip manufacturers (ex: Broadcom/Qualcomm) that provide the necessary libraries, and am wondering if such a library exists and, if so, where to get it as I would like to try and avoid having to implementing this library ourselves or doing something hacky.

The interface that needs to be implemented is located in platform/hardware/libhardware_legacy/include/hardware_legacy/wifi_hal.h (https://android.googlesource.com/platform/hardware/libhardware_legacy/+/refs/tags/android-9.0.0_r52/...).

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Benjamin,

I.MX linux and android BSP support these WIFI module.

--BCM4339 , modules based on BCM4339, such as LBEH5HMZPC.

--QCA9377, modules based on QCA9377, such as LBEE5KL1PJ

--CYW43455, modules based on CYW43455, such as LBEE5HY1MW

Anyway, even if you use other WiFi, you can also migrate to the i.MX platform.

Have a  nice day!

BR,

Weidong

0 Kudos

brood
Contributor III

Hi Wigros,

Thanks for the info!  For anyone who is interested, I've figure out how to get this module working.  See my post on TI's forum:

https://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless-connectivity/wifi/f/968/p/872908/3230152#3230152 

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Benjamin,

Our android9.0.0-2.2.0 bsp supports i.MX6/7, so please pay attention this!

for BoardConfig.mk, you can see broadcomm WIFI device is suported, for example:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE            := bcmdhd
WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION       := VER_0_8_X
BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER  := NL80211
BOARD_HOSTAPD_DRIVER         := NL80211

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so if you compile it, service for WLAN will be added to init.rc automatically.

In addition, if you buy a new WIFI module, provider will provide you document on how to port it to android system, then you will also know how to add service to init.rc.

Have a nice day!

BR,

Weidong

0 Kudos