Vote for Modification to allow i.MX53 QSB to power on automatically when power is applied!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vote for Modification to allow i.MX53 QSB to power on automatically when power is applied!

iafg
Contributor IV

Hi,

Many customers of ours have mentioned that they would like the i.MX53QSB to power on automatically when power is applied. This is typical of an embedded application.

I've been told there are two iterim adjustments that could be made:

- add a transistor circuit to the front end to "push" the power on switch. I haven't looked at this in detail, but it seems a bit kludgy, and I'm wondering how well it would work as the PMIC reacts to long pushes and short pushes differently.

- "Reprogram the PMIC", this **sounds** great, and easy, except i don't think it is... Maybe first step woudl be for the board designers to provide a modified programming file.

How many people would like to see a version or a Fix/Adjustment which would allow the i.MX53 QSB to power on when power is applied? The more Votes we get, the more likely we can get this pushed up the queue of things to do.

PLEASE VOTE by replying!

Thanks,

-iain

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies

RandyKrakora
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I would vote for it, my customer requested it and reprogramming the PMIC sounded more difficult than building a small circuit to handle it.

The customer is using the attached circuit with very good results.

-Randy

0 Kudos

TureNielsen
Contributor I
Phil, good way of implementing this feature. For the final product you should just order the correct variant of DA9053 (DA9053-3H) which does automatic start up! That will save unnecessary components.
0 Kudos

PhilEndecott
Contributor II
FYI I have described the circuit that I'm using towards the bottom of this page: http://chezphil.org/tvcomputer/mech_elec.html
0 Kudos

marshachang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Freescale plans to make a quick start board with MC34708 later this year with the option to power on as soon as power is supplied (no button).

0 Kudos

PhilEndecott
Contributor II
Hi John

John Birch said:

The other option is the circuit in the attached file.

Could you post a copy of the circuit as e.g. a PNG or PDF?  When I try to view the .doc, I can only see the words at the top of the page.  I presume that there should be a schematic below it.

0 Kudos

BrunoCostaGarci
Contributor I

Yes, I need this auto power up feature.

Regards

Bruno Costa

0 Kudos

iafg
Contributor IV
I have to check to see if I can comment :-)

Gilead Kutnick said:
Hi Iain,

Can you comment on if this later revision of i.MX53QSB will utilize Freescale's MC34708 PMIC instead of DA9053?

0 Kudos

PaulMcGregor
Contributor I
another vote
0 Kudos

GileadKutnick
Contributor I
Hi Iain,

Can you comment on if this later revision of i.MX53QSB will utilize Freescale's MC34708 PMIC instead of DA9053?

0 Kudos

iafg
Contributor IV

Hi all,

Later this year we expect there will be a revision of the i.MXQSB.

I just got confirmation that on this version there will be an option / instructions for a customer to have the board power on directly from plug in (i.e. no power button push necessary)

0 Kudos

JohnBirch
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It turns out the DA9053 has an AUTO_BOOT bit with which you don’t have to wait for the on key to be grounded so the PMIC turns on, this is a bit you have to ask for it to be set since the time you order the parts and can’t be changed later, but is a good option for the customer who needs an auto wake up.

The other option is the circuit in the attached file. In case they want to test an auto wake up in the system with the QS board they can remove SW2 and add this as patch. It may not be suitable for a final application though.

0 Kudos

rtljobo
Contributor I

Automatic power on is absolutely needed!

For every new revision of our code base for our RTOS, we are performing automatic regression tests on all of the supported targets & boards in our lab.

The procedure is usally as follow:

1. Reset the main power to the board by toggling power outlet where the AC-adapter is connected, using a remote controlled power switch.

2. Download test-software via serial/ethernet.

3. Monitor result on serial port.

This is not possible with the i.MX53QSB...

Is there a workaround available?

Regards,

Johan

0 Kudos

ManuelUgarte
Contributor I
I am OK with that request, an easy add or removable of components to make this option available will be nice. Maybe there is an option for the PMIC to do that automatically.
0 Kudos

TureNielsen
Contributor I
An option to enable automatic power on will be great! And it should be possible to get this supported by the PMIC.
0 Kudos

Claude_Sylvain
Contributor I

- Having an i.MX53 QSB able to power on automatically when powered up can
  be a necessity for some type of controllers.

Claude

0 Kudos

JimDonelson
Contributor I
Fine by me... but provide a retro hack as well.
0 Kudos