cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual channel support on IMX8M Mini

jfontain88
Contributor II

Hi,

I read a lot of posts on the forums about virtuals channels support but some of them says different things. The main question of the topic is:

Q1. Does the IMX8M Mini support virtual channels (in order to split one incoming MIPI CSI-2 stream into different camera flows based on their VC-ID) ?

This is not clear because the RM of the 8M Mini mentions "virtual channels" (at section 13.4.15.16) without explaining clearly if it is supported or not... Moreover, the driver mxc-mipi-csi2_yav.c stores a "csi2dev->vchannel" boolean but seems to be unused.

Q2. If not supported, which IMX processors support it? I read the IMX7D RM and it seems that it support it but what about the others 8M series or the 6 series?

Q3. Last question but not the least, is there any way to implement "by hand" a virtual channel support by reading packet header of incoming data stream for example? Or maybe by doing similarly to this post: iMX6DQ-MAX9286-MIPI-CSI2-720P-camera-surround-view-solution ?  Do you have any idea or the best solution is to go on another processor?

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Jfontain

0 Kudos
3 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

For Q3, you can only refer to iMX6DQ-MAX9286-MIPI-CSI2-720P-camera-surround-view-solution. Apart from this, there are no other examples.

Have a goog day!

Regards,

weidong

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

1. The MIPI CSI-2 of  i.MX8M/MINI doesn't support virtual channel.

2. The following i.mx processors , you can evaluate, their MIPI CSI-2 supports virtual channel.

--i.MX6Q & i.MX6QP

--I.MX8QM & I.MX8X

Have a nice day!

Regards,

weidong

jfontain88
Contributor II

Perfect, thanks @weidong_sun for this clear answer which helps me lot!

I would appreciate if someone has a solution for Q3

0 Kudos