cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video playback to multiple displays on i.MX8M

felixradensky
Contributor IV

Hi,

i.MX Linux User's Guide for release L4.9.88_2.0.0 says in section 7.3.1.6 that "Video playback to multiple displays can be supported by a video sink plugin. The video sink for multidisplay mode does not work on i.MX 8 family SoCs"

I'd like to understand if that's a hardware limitation of i.MX8M (LCDIF does not support video playback) or a software limitation.

Thanks.

Felix.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

felixradensky
Contributor IV

We were able to play video on MIPI display driven by LCDIF, so the information in Reference Manual needs correction. Back to my original question, if both HDMI and MIPI+LCDIF support video playback, is it possible to play video to dual display on i.MX8M ?

0 Kudos

felixradensky
Contributor IV

We've manged to play video simultaneously on MIPI+LCDIF and HDMI displays. The following guide was very helpful:

How to use dual display on i.MX8 including 4k decoding - i.MXDev Blog 

0 Kudos

jim_lin
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello fradensky

I was trying to verify the same feature, could you share the command to run video simultaneously on MIPI+LCDIF and HDMI displays?

0 Kudos

felixradensky
Contributor IV

Hi Jim,

Om i.MX8M EVK you should boot using fsl-imx8mq-evk-dual-display.dtb and run the following commands:

gplay-1.0 --video-sink=kmssink video.mp4 > /dev/null < /dev/null &
gplay-1.0 --video-sink=waylandsink video.mp4 > /dev/null < /dev/null &

Felix
0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

it should mention software, the chapter 7  multimedia is for gstreamer examples. and for the older bsp user guide, you don't find this information.

0 Kudos

felixradensky
Contributor IV

Hi Joan,

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

The i.MX8M reference manual, https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX8MDQLQRM.pdf  says in 13.1.1.1:

The following use cases are supported:
• Dual display: HDMI driven by Display Controller, with video playback support on
HDMI; MIPI driven by LCDIF, without video playback support on MIPI
• Single display: HDMI driven by Display Controller, with video playback support on
HDMI
• Single display: MIPI driven by Display Controller, with video playback support on
MIPI
• Single display: MIPI driven by LCDIF, without video playback support on MIPI.

If my understanding is correct, in Dual display case video can be streamed only to one display, HDMI.

Am I wrong ?

Felix.

0 Kudos