Versions of Android and i.MX6 BSP Support

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versions of Android and i.MX6 BSP Support

territao
Contributor II

For i.MX6 series CPU, could anybody share some guidelines on NXP plans to support different Android versions' BSP?

For example, for latest i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus, it only supports latest Andriod 6.0, even it is hardware pin-to-pin compatible with i.6Dual/Quad, if your software stays in Android 5.0, the upgrade from i.6Dual/Quad to i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus is not transparent.

From this link, i.MX 6 Series Software and Development Tool|NXP  , I noticed, when there is a newer version Android release, such as Android 6.0, NXP will release Android 6.0 BSP for all mainstream i.MX6 CPUs. On the other hand, when there is a new version i.MX6 CPU released, such as i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus, NXP will only release Android latest version BSP (such as Android 6.0), and do not support older version Android BSP (such as Android 5.0/4.4) for that new CPU.

Correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Thanks!

Terri

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Terri,

Yes, you are correct. By now it is. But about the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop there are demo images for i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus. Hope it can help you.
Have a great day,
Dan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jameskahkoska
Contributor I

Hi Dan,

I haven't find Android 5.1.1 Lollipop demo images for i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus on NXP website, if it is not available, please let me know, thanks!

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi James Kahkoska,

About the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop demo images for i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus only SABRE Board for Automotive Infotainment available in our website. SABRE|Automotive-Infotainment|i.MX6|NXP you can seeIMX6_L5.1.1_2.1.0_ANDROID_DEMO_AI_BSP.

And the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop BSP for i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus about SABRE Board/Platform for Smart Devices is not available.
Have a great day,
Dan

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

territao
Contributor II

Thanks Dan! About Android 5.1.1 Lollipop demo images for i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus, could you give me more information about it?

What is the difference between demo image and formal release? Does demo image stable enough for industrial product use?

Thanks!

Terri

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Terri,

Q:About your question " What is the difference between demo image and formal release? "

A:The demo images are Binary Demo Files and used for the reference board in our website. They can be directly run on the reference board. And the normal released BSP is the source code, you can modify and identify the modules you need. If you design the board yourself and you should porting the BSP for your board, and the demo images can not work on your board, it only for the reference board in our website.

Q:Does demo image stable enough for industrial product use?"

A: No, it's only running on the reference board in our website, for our customer to do some test. And if you want to use for industrial product, you should customize more functions. You can read the release note in our documents all the functions and features you can see.
Have a great day,
Dan

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct  button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Terri,

About the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop demo images for i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus only SABRE Board for Automotive Infotainment available in our website. SABRE|Automotive-Infotainment|i.MX6|NXP you can see IMX6_L5.1.1_2.1.0_ANDROID_DEMO_AI_BSP.

And the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop BSP for i.6DualPlus/6QuadPlus about SABRE Board/Platform for Smart Devices is not available.
Have a great day,
Dan

0 Kudos