Using ethernet port on BD-SL-imx6 results in console connection getting lost and reboot of the device

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ethernet port on BD-SL-imx6 results in console connection getting lost and reboot of the device

imx_learner
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using BD-SL-iMX6 with Debian stretch, kernel 4.9.x . https://boundarydevices.com/debian-stretch-9-0/

I enabled some kernel config to get the `netem` tool working.

Right now following are the observations on BD-SL-imx6 board:

1. Without the LAN cable plugged in the board, everything works fine - the bootup, running gst-commands, access from PC via serial console etc.
  2. When the LAN cable is plugged in, the board restarts automatically, and the connection to PC via serial console is blocked. I cannot access the board using the console from my PC.
  3. This behaviour is observed till the LAN cable is plugged out, after which the console works again and there are no issues.

I do not understand why inserting a LAN cable affects the console and leads to reboot of board. I have tried flashing the old kernel image, without any modification and it still shows the same behavior. 

I particularly see this message during bootup :

Starting kernel ...
imx6q-pcie 1ffc000.pcie: phy link never came up
imx6q-pcie 1ffc000.pcie: failed to initialize host
ldb 2000000.aips-bus:ldb@020e0008: failed to find valid LVDS channel
mdio_bus 2188000.ethernet-1: /soc/aips-bus@02100000/ethernet@02188000/mdio/ethes
imx-sgtl5000 sound: ASoC: Cannot get gpio at index 0: -2
Loading, please wait...
starting version 232
Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done.
Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... done.
Begin: Will now check root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.29.2
[/sbin/fsck.ext4 (1) -- /dev/mmcblk1p1] fsck.ext4 -a -C0 /dev/mmcblk1p1
sys-19h: recovering journal
sys-19h: clean, 58927/230608 files, 481406/921344 blocks
done.
done.

I fail to understand the reason for the behaviour of ethernet port here. Does anyone have any hints?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Indeed that is not normal behavior. We've only seen such issue on boards that were damaged:

- Have you ever plugged 12V power supply by mistake?

- Is your Ethernet cable a standard one or is it meant for PoE?

- Have you tried another cable?

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

imx_learner
Contributor I

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the update.

1. No I am using the 5V DC power cord provided with the BD-SL-imx6 kit. 

2. The ethernet cable is a standard one. 

3. Yes, I have tried with 3 different ethernet cables and the result is the same. 

If the eth0 is not active, everything works fine.  

One thing, I want to mention is that I am using camera as well with the board, and once the camera lens/pcb was in contact to the bottom side of BD-SL-imx6 board. To be precise - in contact with the parallel camera interface on bottom side of the development board, which is diagonally opposite to the Ethenet port. 

This should not be a problem I guess, or would it cause a issue? 

Regards. 

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Yes it seems your short circuit most likely damaged the board. It being at the opposite side of the board doesn't mean that a power supply necessary for Ethernet wasn't damaged.

Please contact info@boundarydevices explaining your case and ask for analysis.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello imx Learner,

The BD-SL-iMX6 board is supported by Boundary Devices.

gary_bisson, would you please let us know if you have information regarding this problem?

Regards,

0 Kudos